- advertisement -

American Girl Doll Restaurant Experiences??? And trying to get American girl to make diabetic suppl

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ibusse13, Jan 25, 2014.

1. ibusse13

ibusse13 Approved members

Hi my name is Ingrid and my eleven year old daughter got diagnosed 3 months ago with diabetes. We are still overwhelmed with counting her carbs and when we go out it is a pain. I know it will get better with time. We are planning a trip to an American Girl store and plan on eating at their restaurant. When I called to make a reservation and see if a carb count was available. They gave me the run around and make it sound like they don't have that available. Not sure if that is try. They told me they would have someone from the restaurant call me back. I was just wondering it someone here has taken their diabetic child/children to an American Girl restaurant and what their experience was. Also my daughter is really loves American Girl dolls and was very disappoint that they had accessories like service dogs, hearing aids, wheelchairs, food allergies, and even braces, but they don't have any insulin pumps and diabetic accessories. She really wants to have a doll that is really just like her. If you have a chance check out her video and follow the link on the sign her petition. If would make her so happy and I think if we got enough signatures it would really make a difference. http://youtu.be/BCNTSNyh9qE (Sorry I can't seem to attach the link directly, but if you copy and pastes it will work)

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Type 1 for the most part is an invisible disease compared to the other conditions that they make accessories for. Pair that with how each person treats their diabetes and the accessories that they choose to wear very differently I can see how.

Maybe if the two of you are handy enough you can make some things yourself, take control of that want, and fill her need until they hear what you are saying.

3. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

There's this http://www.fifty50pharmacy.com/Merc...CTGY&Store_Code=F5&Category_Code=Pumpernickel My DD was given one by either Smiths who made the now obsolete (sadly) pump upon which this is modeled or JDRF. It'c certainly cheaper than AG doll stuff '-)

As for the meal - you know, it's just restaurant food. I'd look at the menu on line and make up some carb estimates for what she's most likely to order. Most restaurant food is higher in carbs than you'd think, so just be ready to correct later in need be and try not to let it be a big deal so she can focus on the outing. Good luck! :)

5. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

We just went to the American Girl Doll store and restaurant in December; it was a such a great experience. We went for lunch. They have a copy of the menu online, so I would just have her look it over and choose what she might like to have (even if she doesn't know for sure and chooses three entrees), then look them up in the Calorie King book or online at home, where you aren't rushed or panicky. I googled American Girl cafe food and there are lots of images so you can see what many of the meals look like. The crudites are all 0 carb veggies if I recall, so that's good. You won't find everything, but you can get pretty close and if you mess it up, just correct or treat the low and move on. Try not to let diabetes affect what is a really fun experience. Write everything down that you find (including the serving size) and bring it with you. The serving sizes of things at AG are tiny - which you can see when you look at the images, the flowerpot dessert is maybe 3 spoonfuls, the cake is about a third the size of a hostess cupcake, so it's important to write down the sizes of the carb counts you find. You don't want to dose for a cup of mousse, when it's probably a quarter cup at most.

Just do your best and enjoy!

6. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

My husband and daughter went a few months ago and had a wonderful time. She loved the American Girl store, hair salon, restaurant - well, everything, really. If you have a smartphone, the Figwee app is great for estimating carbs by looking at portion sizes. If you use a Calorie King book, you could take it, too.

As for the pump - my daughter has had dolls and stuffed animals with pumps - we use felt and elastic to make them :)

7. jmg707

jmg707 Approved members

We just went to the store for the first time a week or so ago. Have not experienced the restaurant but that will be up on our next visit. :) I would treat it as any other restaurant meal at this point. Keep in mind she might be too excited to eat too much since it is a bit overwhelming just to be in the store!! So much to see and do. We have used online app Calorie King for most items with some success. As for accessories, I can see how it might be a bit difficult to make universal diabetes accessories since everyone is so different. I am certain you could get a medical id bracelet through someone online (try etsy). Same for other types of accessories. Good luck and have a great time!!!!! Be prepared to spend some $$$$$ ;) I have a friend that does sparkle bracelets matching for girls and their dolls. She does have a diabetes/medical id charm. Cute and not super expensive. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=632000653516797&set=pcb.632001006850095&type=1&theater

8. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

When Chris started on the Omnipod, my daughter sewed an old pod on Rufus the Diabetic bear's leg so Rufus looked more diabetic. It was sweet. :)

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

This is what we have.
    Went to the AG store years ago. LOL, don't expect a gourmet meal! You can go online and get the menu so you have an idea of carbs, and the food is tiny. For example, the PBJ sandwiches are little cut outs so at most they probably totaled 20g. I'd suggest uploading FIGWEE onto your phone, it gives plate pictures of many foods and you just scroll to adjust by size.

11. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Ingrid, your daughter is beautiful and precious. I tweeted the video and some have retweeted . Hope the manufacturer is listening. Of course everyone else shared great ideas.

12. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

We've eaten there a couple of times. I agree with the others - just treat it like every other restaurant meal and use Calorie King. We've been at this long enough that we just wing it now and rarely use Calorie King, but you can usually get pretty close. And if you miss, you miss and you just compensate later.

They are pretty good with gluten-free too - they did a great job of accommodating it for Emma and she even got her own GF cupcake for her birthday (and one of her GF friends did too) that matched the AG cake that all the other girls got.

We love AG!

13. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My daughter just saw the topic and said that the petition should include a request for next year's American Girl Doll of the Year to have diabetes.:wink:

Of course, we'd want them to learn about other than drama through seizures. I haven't forgotten how white my daughter became after reading the Babysitter Club book about diabetes shortly after diagnosis. That was NOT helpful at all.

14. ibusse13

ibusse13 Approved members

Just want to update my original post. I called the American Girl doll store and asked to speak to the restaurant manager. He called me within 24 hours and was very understand and helpful. I had looked at the menu on the website so I knew what my daughter was going to eat. He wrote down the items and then emailed me a carb count for the items. Here are the counts they gave me for the Bistro restaurant and the exact information they sent me. Hopefully it will help someone else.

I hope this helps for your upcoming party and just reminder that this information is an estimate as we cannot guarantee these numbers are exact.

Macaroni with lots of cheese (8 oz = 35g)

and the fruit skewer (4g)

Fruit fondue – Fruit skewers (8g) plus 2 muffins (16g) and Yogurt (10g) = 34g

Best ever chicken tenders (3 pieces = 33g)

with the side of Mac and cheese (4oz = 18g)

and the fruit skewer (4g)

Brownie lollipops (13g each)