- advertisement -

Am I wrong to feel like this??

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by yelley, Jun 30, 2010.

1. yelley

yelley Approved members

Since about 2 weeks after dx, my daughters numbers have been fantastic! Nothing in the 200 with only 2 readings above 150. Battled lows for a bit, but she is pretty much the same everyday. I have yet to give a correction dose.

I know this is because she is in her "honeymoon", but my hubby just thinks we are doing a great job and that is why her #'s are so good.

I try to tell him things will change, but he still just thinks we are doing such a great job and I don't want to see his reaction when she is up in the 200's, he will think we are failures:(

I guess I just feel like I am not able to put into place everything I have learned because her darn pancreas decided it wanted to help me out :rolleyes:

This is a great thing, but I feel like once she starts coming out of her honeymoon or her numbers start creeping, I wont know what to do anymore. Like I have to learn it all over.

Anyone ever feel this way?

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

D is a great teacher of humility, I think. I learned the hard way.:eek: Just when you think "Oh, cool! I know what I'm doing." BAM, hormones, illness, sports, stress, you name it, makes you question your abilities.

I've found we do have the abilities, but we never have 100% of the knowledge. It is a continuous learning experience. And that is very humbling.

If you yourself are aware of that, which it seems you are, then your DH will follow, I think.

So, yes, I've felt like you do. And I feel it over and over everytime what I think should be done is not working. That's when it's time to step back, and take a different route. The people here are awesome at making you see things from a perspective you haven't tried yet.

Hang in there!:cwds:

3. MichS

MichS Approved members

It probably will get harder. The honeymoon period was a good learning time for us. Take everything one day at a time. There is no way you are a failure! We all feel that way, but diabetes is bigger than all of us. We only fight the battles.
    Take care.
    Michelle:cwds:

4. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

We deal with this a lot too. I feel bad for Kayla somewhat because she is starting to come out of some of those lovely numbers.. for the longest time, regardless of what she ate she never saw bad numbers. It was like her pancreas said.. oh don't worry, I will take care of the rest of that. lol. This week tho, she has been in the 200's a lot and even if she isn't in the 200's she is almost always in high 100's and she doesn't understand why.

It will come.. don't worry.

5. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

DS never had a honeymoon so we started out with crazy numbers - I was giving correction doses right off the bat and we even called the Dr. to get instructions on how to correct more than every 3 hours. Now that his Levemir is adjusted, that is much better.

I think the best thing to do is try not to be attached to the numbers. You know, this is a good number, this is a bad number. They are just numbers that let you know if you need to give carbs or insulin or if nothing needs to be done right now.

6. yelley

yelley Approved members

Thanks everyone....

I am realistic I guess that is why I struggle with this.

Right now I read some of these posts and think, huh:confused:, because I have not experienced that situation yet.

The one thing I know for sure is that when that time comes, I know exactly where to go........ HERE:D

7. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

What Paula said!!!

8. AlexsDad

AlexsDad Approved members

First, I'm sure that you and your husband are doing a great job.

However, your husband's perspective reminded me of a quote from "The Everything Parent's Guide to Children with Juvenile Diabetes" by Moira McCarthy. In describing the honeymoon she writes, "this can be a time when caregivers assume their child's good numbers are simply because they are better at diabetes care than anyone else...that does not mean the reason his numbers are within target now is just you. There will come a time when the honeymoon ends, and you'll still be that amazing parent."

Like you (and everyone who posts on this board!) we've worked very hard at this. My outlook has been when my son is grown and independent I don't want to look back and say that there was something that we could have done but didn't. Thus far, a year and a half into this, we've been very fortunate. My son's last four A1C's have been 6.2, 5.9, 6.1 and 6.0. During this time his insulin needs have increased over 50%. I would like to take comfort in the fact that his numbers are because of the care we are giving him, but I know that there are many parents who do just as much or more for their children and don't have these results.

There's a good deal of luck involved and my son may very well not be able to maintain these A1C's in the future. I do know that the care that we give him will be no less. Moira McCarthy also writes, "do not assign your self-worth as a parent to blood sugars. Rather, assign it to the effort and love you put into the situation, no matter the short-term outcomes." I think that this will be a valuable perspective for your husband in the months and years ahead.

9. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

THANK YOU for posting this, this is a wonderful quote! Thank you.

10. chammond

chammond Approved members

Logan never went through a honeymoon either, but just so you know, a year and a half in, on a regular basis I feel like I have to relearn everything! Kids change, and as they do so do all the rules regarding D care. Good luck to you guys, and it is okay to feel like your doing a great job because you are, honeymoon or not!:D

11. Rcj176

Rcj176 Approved members

I just want to say that you are doing a great job! Even if the diabetes seems easy right now, just go with the flow. It will change at some point.
    I am in the same boat with my two children. They are both in strong honeymoons and rarely need a correction if at all. My daughter is just running on basal most of the time and doesn't get a meal bolus unless it is pizza or a high fat meal.
    You will know what to do when the time comes, I would just read all that you can at this point and enjoy the honeymoon!! :)

12. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Totally get the worry.
    It'll be all right, honest.

13. Daniel's Mom 1993

Daniel's Mom 1993 Approved members

Daniel had a long heavy honeymoon and the first year and half was like what you are discribing - he has come out of that now and we do see the higher numbers but you look at them correct if needed watch for patterns and try to move on without taking it personally. My husband asked me once about an unexplained high and the only answer I had was "He has diabetes!" I have been going through some insecurities the last couple of weeks but after alot of soul searching and a pat on the back from his endo - I think I am doing good!I am human and will make mistakes but hopefully learn and teach ds and move on:D
    You will do fine and so will your husband.

14. Wendyb

Wendyb Approved members

This is a wonderful quote. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

15. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I couldnt have said it better;) I remember how smug I felt when Steven was honeymooning. His BGs were always in the 80-120 range with a few lows. His A1Cs were high 5s low 6s and I would think, boy this is easy! why do people seem to have such problems?:confused: But then he came out of honeymoon and I thought, ohhhhhh now I get it!:rolleyes: My best friend has a daughter with d, she once told me that it doesnt matter how much insulin or how little insulin our kids need they still have diabetes. Needing more insulin doesnt make their diabetes worse