- advertisement -

Am I right to be a little irritated by this?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by zell828, Feb 27, 2012.

1. zell828

zell828 Approved members

Our JDRF Walk to Cure Diabetes was this past Saturday. It's our 4th year of doing the walk :) We usually have a team of around 26 people that support us. This year my sister-in-law and her husband came for the first time. First, let me explain that these two have in the past confronted me and my husband telling us that we should be praying over our daughter rather than doing the walk. Anyway, my sister-in-law kept asking me throughout the walk "is this it?" (it only lasts one hour from 8-9am and then they have a brief show afterward). Once during the show after the walk a man on the stage told everyone to text JDRF (they gave the text) and donate $10 right there on the spot. My sister-in-law leans over and whispers to me "don't do it, it's a gimmick". Then they had attitudes on them like they would have much rather been anywhere but there. I'm not sure what they expected, it wasn't a marathon and it WAS a fundraiser. It made me feel real "ick" afterwards and sad. I don't even know why they bothered to come :(

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

It is irritating when people don't "get it". I would let myself be irritated for a short while and then let it go and keep moving forward. :cwds:

3. zell828

zell828 Approved members

Thanks Christopher. :)

4. sooz

sooz Approved members

Sandy, I can so relate. Hailey's daddy confronted his brother by asking him why couldn't he donate even five dollars to be supportive, and the slime had the stupidity to say " see that anonymous $50 donation on your fundraising page? I made that donation" not realizing that the person who made the page could see who really made it! :rolleyes: Karma will get them.

5. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

You have a right to be irritated but, she will never "get it" so to speak. They will always find the topic irritating and eye roll worthy. I have learned to grit my teeth, offer a quick explanation as to why it is important and move away, far away, until I cool down.

6. lynn

lynn Approved members

I understand your irritation. I'll bet you weren't really surprised though, were you? Most people are consistent, and it sounds like their actions and attitude were no different than you have experienced from them in the past. I'm sorry, family should be more supportive. I think I would be leaving them off the invite list in the future.

7. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I'm sorry. Next year, don't bother inviting them. They obviously have better things to do with their precious time. ;) I know it bothers you, but try not to let them bring you down. :)

8. caspi

caspi Approved members

Ugh...... "Is this it?" What was she expecting, a Vegas show? :rolleyes: While you have every right to be irritated, people like that - family or not - are not worth getting worked up over. I'm sorry you had to deal with that! At least now you know not to invite them again in the future. ;)

9. Lee

Lee Approved members

Yep - you always have the right to be irritated. Next time, just don't invite them or even space yourself from them so you do not have to listen to them.

They have their right to their beliefs, but you do not have to listen to what they say. Hopefully, you will also find some solace in knowing that you are doing the best possible with your stepdaughter.

10. Ronin1966

Ronin1966 Approved members

Hello Sandy:

Words are wind... actions count. They showed up, right ?! People can change give them more time...

11. Jake'sMama

Jake'sMama Approved members

100% her issue, not yours.

Sounds like she needs some prayers as well!

12. zell828

zell828 Approved members

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I feel better :)