- advertisement -

Alternatives for Glucotabs when kid gets braces

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BrendaK, Dec 17, 2011.

1. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Carson is having major orthodontic work done starting last week. We have always treated lows with glucose tabs, pretty exclusively. Not the best option for him right now when his teeth hurt so bad and they are a bit hard to chew.

He doesn't care for juice boxes, they work too slowly for him. We do use gatorade, but I'm out of ideas besides that. Any help? He can't have hard, chewy or sticky stuff. Maybe I'll buy some regular soda as well.

What do your kids with braces use to treat lows that isn't hard, chewy or sticky?

2. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Can you soak the tabs in a little water to soften them? Otherwise, I'd do soda or juice.

Sugar that's not chewy or sticky? I thought that's what it's supposed to be like. :) lol I guess the only other form of sugar is liquid form. So gatorade or soda will be fine. Sometimes I give my DS a spoonful of jam. At least the pain from braces isn't all the time.

Good luck!

3. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

We sometimes use Danimals....the smoothies are 15 carbs. I guess for instant bg perks you could use icing? Just a thought...chocolate milk? Hope Carson feels better soon.

4. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Okay, at first thought I was like gross, soaking a tab in water. BUT.....I think that's actually a good idea. Just dip them in a glass briefly and they would dissolve right away. I'll see if he likes that.

Ugh, I wish he liked yogurt.....I'm going to pick up some icing though. Good idea! Thx!

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'm laughing because Maddie went through a phase where all glucose tabs had to be dipped in water. It is kinda gross but apparently makes them even tastier :p Good luck with the braces. Maddie gets her's in about 6 weeks ...:rolleyes:

6. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

what about regular Kool-Aid? Its about 15g per 8oz if I remember right, comes in lots of flavors too!

7. Jakethesnakesmom

Jakethesnakesmom Approved members

You could also try Pixie Stix - I also like the chocolate milk idea.

Poor thing, I remember when my ND daughter got braces she lived off soup for three days!

Stephanie, Mom to Jacob, age 9
    DX since 2005, pumping with MM

8. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

I was also going to say, glucose tabs in water.

Sugar in water

Glucose gel

Jello dissolved in water

Full Gatorade

I know you said juice is too slow, how about concentrated juice. 1 oz is usually 15 carbs.

cake icing - followed by water

honey - followed by water

regular soda

Jelly - followed by water

9. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

Pixie sticks work well for us. Dannimals are another go to drink. Soda is always good. My dental hygienist sister is cringing right now! Just remember to follow with water to keep the acids from staying on the teeth too long behind the orthodontics. Connor loves the apple/fruit sauce in the squeeze tubes. They are marketed at little kids but, he doesn't care. He just grabs, squeezes and swallows. His favorite is Motts strawberry. It's 10g which works well if he's low but not crashing.

10. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

I'm glad I read this! Ella is getting braces in the coming months...sigh. Good luck!

11. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

When Eric got braces I worried about this too. The orthodontist thought maybe if I broke them smaller they would be okay. He wore braces for a year and he ended up eating glucose tablets whole no problem. When his braces were first put on and his teeth hurt he did use juice for lows. But soon that initial soreness went away and with each adjustment the pain wasn't as bad and I would give an advil before his adjustment.

So, at first the soaking water in glucose tablets may work. We also used gatorade for lows. But, soon the pain will not be as bad and he can go back to glucose tablets.

12. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I never chew the glucotabs, I just let them dissolve in my cheek. Usually 1 is all I need, the odd time I need a 2nd one.

13. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

If you're so used to tabs, I'd say just suck on them until they soften rather than dipping in water. Then you don't need to worry about getting water if you're out or changing what you carry (liquids are bulkier and heavier to carry.) Keep it simple. They soften pretty quickly.

14. Stacey Nagel

Stacey Nagel Approved members

jelly, jam, honey??

15. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I was okay with glucose tabs when I had braces. It's tough for the first 2-3 days after they are tightened (I'd suggest using liquid at that time) but for the majority of the time my braces weren't too painful and glucose tabs weren't an issue, especially if I held them in my mouth for a moment before chewing them. (I didn't have braces and D at the same time for very long - but I used to occasionally eat glucose tabs pre-D. I've gone off them now, haha.)

16. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

sugar cubes?

17. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

Campbell just got his lower braces on and an expander on top. Other than the first day or two, when his jaw was sore, he hasn't had any problem with tabs.
    We also use chocolate milk (if it's not a bad low), juice, glucoshots, cake gel & real soda for lows. A spoonful of jam or honey works well too.

18. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

We had the opposite problem. Kayla liked.. chewy gooey things to treat lows and then got braces and had to go to glucose tabs to treat. The really painful part only lasts a few days, thankfully. But it comes back with each adjustment.

19. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

nutella works well for Isaac, and they have little travel ones at Cost Plus World Market. We also use honey sticks, icing, and smarties to treat lows...or his favorite is chocolate soy milk :)

20. Gsmama

Gsmama Approved members

Glucose drinks.