- advertisement -

Alternative to sports drinks during swimming?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momof2greatkids, Sep 25, 2011.

1. momof2greatkids

momof2greatkids Approved members

When Audrey swam last spring, she sipped Gatorade throughout practice, and her blood sugars stayed really even. She just started up again last week, and is very resistant to drinking Gatorade or any other sports drink during practice for some reason. She says she doesn't like any of the flavors and they make her more thirsty. She only went once last week and was a little on the high side before practice started. She tested twice during practice and each time she was a little low and ate glucose tabs.

Instead of sipping gatorade during practice, she wants to just take one unit less of insulin when she eats before practice, but I don't like the idea of intentionally going high so she won't go too low. Any thoughts on other options to keep her from going low during 2-hours of swim practice?

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Zico coconut water might be a good option. It contains electrolytes and is only 15g. My daughter complains of how juice makes her feel when she has it for lows, but she likes the coconut water -- unless she has it too frequently.

3. bandmkolb

bandmkolb Approved members

I am very new to this and never thought about letting Harrison sip Gateraide during his sports. Thanks for the idea. He eats supper right before football practice and during the day he has p.e. right after lunch. So we give him 1/2 of his meal bolus. It seems to be working for us but he is still honeymooning also.

4. Teacups

Teacups Approved members

There are some homemade "Gatorade" recipes online that use an unsweetened Kool-Aid packet, a bit of O.J. plus water and a few other things. Maybe something like that she'd enjoy?

5. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Hana is a competitive swimmer too. Luckily, she hasn't resisted me on the Gatorade yet. Though we do the G2 and not the Gatorade. Which one is your daughter using? I can see the actual Gatorade making her thirsty because it is very sweet, however, the G2 is much lighter and not as sweet. I actually like the G2 but can't stand the taste of Gatorade.

I understand not wanting to let her go high either and I don't think I would cut back on the insulin either. IF they go in over 170, they definitely won't be able to swim at their optimal. As a matter of fact, I like to send Hana in more like 130-140 and just try to maintain a number in the 100s as opposed to sending her in high and letting her swim it down.

Maybe a peanut butter sandwich an hour or so before ( dosed for). Actually, we've done a few peanut butter crackers before practice (dosed) and that seems to do well because the peanut butter stays in them for quite a while and doesn't burn right off like glucose would.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  6. momof2greatkids

momof2greatkids Approved members

We saw coconut water at the store today, and looked at it, but weren't sure how it would taste. We'll have to try it. I don't know that 15 carbs would be enough to keep her up during swimming, but definitely something for her to try when she's doing other activities or low.

I learned the gatorade trick here, and I loved it last spring when she was swimming since she could get carbs throughout practice just by sipping a little at a time, instead of having a full snack.

That might be something she would like. And she's starting to get into recipes, so it would let her get a little creative with her drinks. :)

We did gatorade in the spring, but her insulin needs were a lot lower then, so 70 uncovered carbs while swimming worked great then. I think that would be too much now, so G2 might work. If it's less sweet, she might not complain as much. We picked up some Sobe at the store today. She said she wouldn't like it, but we'll give it a try too.

7. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

We were told by the endo that many top tier athletes go into an event around 200 knowing (through experience) that their BG will drop with exertion. We have always found this to be true. When my son spent a week at skateboard camp three years after dx, he took no fast asting insulin for almost a week. His Lantus (reduced) kept him around 150 for the bulk of that time.

And to the point of the OP...my son is a swimmer and carbs up before a summer meet, uncovered or fractionally covered, because his events tend to be right on top of each other: breaststroke>butterfly>relays. During high school meets the scheduling is different, and his events are sometimes changed last minute, so he's prety much nibbling throughout. He rarely uses Gatorade for swim.

It's more an art than a science.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We've not had much success with the "sipping" method, largely, I think, because my dd just doesn't want to be pausing and drinking and pausing and drinking. I'm sure for some kids it isn't a problem, but there are other ways to deal with it, just listen to your dd and be open to trying different methods. ;) Good luck!

9. lynn

lynn Approved members

I don't think there is any magic in the actual Gatorade. When we use this way of avoiding lows I just give Nathan a water bottle with a carbie drink in and he takes a swig or two every now and then. What does she like to drink that has carbs in?

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I remember reading a story about basketball player Adam Morrison. He said that on game days he would eat something with a lot of protein (steak, chicken) and a baked potato about 2 hours prior to the game and then remove the pump during the game. He wouldn't correct for the carbs of the potato and that would keep him around 200, but the exertion from playing would bring him down, but never too low.

I wish I could find the interview.

When my daughter skis or does track we give her a bowl of cereal (whole grain, fiber) uncovered and check 1/2 way through. At track, they always had G2 around, and yes it definitely is much lighter than regular Gatorade. My daughter wouldn't be consistent with stopping and sipping, so this is where the cereal was helpful.

11. ROVERT81402

ROVERT81402 Approved members

My son races atvs and he sips on koolaid, made with regualr sugar. It doesn't make him spike, it keeps him from going low, its cheap, and he loves it :)