- advertisement -

Alternative Pump Sites

Discussion in 'Insulin Pumps' started by jules12, Jan 13, 2011.

1. jules12

jules12 Approved members

Right now, we are using the quickset 6mm, 23" tubing and only use his backside for pump sites. I put his cgms in his arms. For those of you who have really then children, where else do you try? He is very thin - lean muscular build. His backside is not looking the greatest - Endo always says it's fine but I would like to give it a break.

My question is - if you use the leg and/or arm - where do you put it so it's comfortable and do you order longer tubing??? Stomach is out, he is just way to skinny there - No fat at all.

2. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

How about the fleshy part of the back of the arm? That's were we gave the injections to our daughter when she was thin as a rail.

3. CheriMomTo8

CheriMomTo8 Approved members

Maura is fairly thin, too, and 6yo. We started using her legs, thigh area, and that has gone really well. We use the top of the thigh where it is the most fatty. We have had no problems with the tubing, I have not ordered longer. The only issue we had was while hiking, she went potty in the woods and yanked out her site :eek: We were 2m up a mountain but kept moving and giving her water. She was close to 200 when we got home. Next time I'll take extra sites!!

4. bluedevils_fan

bluedevils_fan Approved members

Logan is very thin and muscular. We use Inset 30s with 23" (I think it's 23, its very short) tubing. He uses his backside and we rotate that with the front of his thighs. About an adult's hand width above the knee is the farthest down the leg. He puts the pump in his front jeans pocket. At night he runs the tubing through the leg of his underpants in case he has to use the bathroom and forgets the site is there. He figured this out after ripping out a site in the middle of the night.

5. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

We use the area about 2 inches from his navel, and the area where us larger folks have "love handles" for sites. He doesn't like using his butt, and the back of his arms is reserved for CGMS.

I always feel like we need more sites for rotation but so far no scarring.

6. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

We use the back of the hips, above the belt. There's a bit of a love handle there.

7. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

BTW, I love the photo of your chinchillas! We have one too and we love him!

8. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We use the back of arms for pump sites (the squishy/fatty part).. sides of arms are used for sensors.. then we use the belly, but we're trying to avoid that as much as possible as she's getting fatty deposits. So now we are trying to work in backside/love handles (well, the area where she would have love handles if she had fat on her).. Not the best spot though, they never last long, usually end up getting ripped out on day 2.

9. jules12

jules12 Approved members

Thanks for all the replies - I haven't got him ready to try somewhere else. His backside was looking pretty bad but I started putting sween cream on it again and it is looking a lot better. I still want to try some others places......

Our chins started out as brothers and lived in their cage together for about 6 months and then they started fighting so we had to separate them. Now each kid has a cage in their room. I love our chins - they are so sweet.

10. sage68

sage68 Approved members

I have very limited options for my 1 year old, as she is so small and skinny. I use her backside a lot but I also wanted to give her bum a break so I currently have a site in her thigh and it is working great! I have it on the upper side of her thigh, as that is where it is the fattiest and she hasn't complained about it. With her, her arms also reserved for CGMS sites.

With my 4 year old, I will also use her arms (contact detach) for the site, in the opposite one that has the CGM. Works well for her. I also will use the bum and thighs with her as well.