- advertisement -

alternate test sites

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by JohnMom, Jun 2, 2008.

1. JohnMom

JohnMom Approved members

I am thinking about using alternate sites for the bg test. Right now we use the BD 33 guage lancets on his fingers and they work great but after a year I think they could use a break. I heard the multiclix is better than the BD 33 guage, but our insurance does not cover it. Anyways I was wonder from those who use alternate sites how accurate they are, since they run behind the fingers? Also, are they more painful?

2. Mom2Will

Mom2Will Approved members

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  3. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

You can get a multiclix and aviva meter and 60 strips for free from this link
    https://www.accu-chek.com/promo/us/usdrtvpromo.htm

they will send you a couple of the drums for the multiclix to get started, and if you PM me you address I can send you a couple of packages of them that should last awhile.
    I get 10 pks of them every 3 months , so I have plenty to spare.

Now I have tried testing on my arm, I have used different lancing devices and I just cant get the enough blood out of my arms., but that is just me , other people can do it just fine.
    I have been testing on my fingers for almost 18 years, it hardly ever bothers me anymore, just every once in awhile.

4. JohnMom

JohnMom Approved members

Thanks for the info I will check them out

5. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Approved members

We use the BD 33-gauge, too, and like it a lot. Be aware that while other lancing devices offer certain advantages (I so love that little drum of lancets!), no other lancet is as thin. I don't know what gauge the multiclix is, but I think it's 26 or 28 - significantly thicker, in my opinion.

6. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

I use the Accu Check MultiClix Meter and I love it..It has very small settings you can adjust the lancet (multiclix) setting too..It does not hurt, as long as you get the sides of the finger and the best part is it only takes a very small amount of blood and it kind of sucks it up to the strip real fast...Definately click on the link above for the free meter ..I hope you will like it as much as I do..(and I use it on a little one)

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Maddie, dx'd at 4 would ONLY test using her forearms for YEARS. Now we do fingers and arms. I know that some folks believe there is a great difference between the numbers I have not experienced that. I still use arms at night, Maddie prefers it that way, she says it does not hurt. Try it on yourself and see what you think :cwds:

8. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

Sara is a alternate site tester.
    I've checked her at night on fingers and forearm and have gotten almost same reading.

You have to use the clear cap that comes with the lancet. at first we couldnt' get enough blood, but with practice it will get easier.

I encourage her to rub the area before testing-she doesn't always do this. I just tried some of the 33 gauge bd's-found they bend too easily for us-I don't change lancet everytime.

9. rj'smom

rj'smom Approved members

We use test his toes.. (he was a finger sucker when he slept so in the hospital the nurses at night would use his toes... so we just continued on from there)
    mainly at night when he is sleeping but occasionally during the day he will ask to have a toe tested.. We use the multiclick on his finger it is set to .5 for his toes it is set on 1. I have done comparisons between the fingers and toes and generally they are the same.

10. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

I tried testing on my arms once. But after a while I looked like a junkie from all the red dots on them. I went back to finger testing for cosmetic reasons, vain teenager I am :rolleyes: