- advertisement -

Alternate site testing question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by emm142, Aug 8, 2011.

1. emm142

emm142 Approved members

A post on here yesterday prompted me to give AST another go. I used my inner forearm for a test last night, and all seemed fine (took a while for blood drop to come up, but that seems normal). But about 5 minutes later I realised that there was a lump about the size of a pea under the spot I'd used, and today I have a lovely bruise.

So, I took a picture and wonder if anyone could tell me whether this is an inevitable response to alternate site testing, whether there is a better area than inner forearm, and whether there are any technique adjustments to minimise bruising. If this would be typical for every poke, I'd rather stick with fingers. If there's something I can do to prevent it, an alternate site would be lovely.

[​IMG]

ETA: You might be able to see, I did the poke towards the outside, not in the middle of the bruise. Maybe I should try doing one on the other side of my forearm?

2. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

3. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

That's pretty much what I look like following any AST... it's definitely enough to keep me from trying it :)

The sole exception is when I use the lower part of my palm.. that's the only 'alternate' site that has ever been useful for me.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We've never ventured to the underside of the forearm but Maddie tests on the "top side" all the time and only looks bruised if she hits the same spot over and over again as she is wont to do :p

5. mocha

mocha Approved members

ouch!

I've never used the inner part of my arm, only the "top" of the forearm close to my elbow and my palm for AST, which is where I do most of my testing (I played the violin for 9 years, and I had such thick calluses that the lancet couldn't get blood out from my fingers, unless I wanted to cut off the calluses, which meant a long time to build them back up...) out of habit.

I found to get the blood to come quickly, it helps if I rub the area until I can feel it actually warming up, then sterilize, then test.

That still looks really painful, though! Hope you feel better!

6. NeurosurgeryNP

NeurosurgeryNP Approved members

I always got bruised from forearm testing. I no longer do it there.