- advertisement -

Almost a year into CGMS and our update

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by WestinsMom, May 21, 2008.

Tags:
  1. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

Well, it has almost been one year since we started cgms. Mind you through most of that time we were part time users, but as of the last few months we have been full time with the exception of a few days break inbetween sensor changes. Our a1c before using cgms was hovering around 8.0. We would go between 7.9 and 8.2 approx. Today, drum roll please, we were at our all time low of 6.4!

One thing that I think might of helped is that Westin went in with a great blood sugar today. Usually when we go it is right after breakfast or lunch and we are in our spike. Today our appointment was at 9:30 and I gave breakfast at 7:20. I gave a 20 minute prebolus with a two hour super bolus. When we checked at the office he was 125, 2 hours and 20 minutes after breakfast. I imagine that can have some effect on an a1c, but that is just my theory.

So I got back to the office, of course calling anyone that could relate to my joy, and have now put a call into the state to see how things are going to get coverage for sensors...with of course our new low a1c to brag about.:D

2. zell828

zell828 Approved members

Congratulations! :D

3. EmmasMom

EmmasMom Approved members

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!:) I'm always happy to see more proof that CGMS makes a real difference for people.

Good Job on all your hard work!:)

4. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

Congratuation's Westin

great A1C

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Wow! That's awesome! As the CGM is in our future shortly, it is so nice to hear people's experiences with it. Congratulations on the great A1C. Great work!

6. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

Congrats again!!!

7. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

That's great!! It feels so good when you go to the dr and he tells you that you are doing a wonderful job.. I would like to get the CGMS, maybe in the future, but we haven't even graduated to the pump yet, so we will see what happens..

Again CONGRATS on the good news..

8. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

Great Job.. Way To Go

9. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Way to go Westin and mom!!!!!!!!

We are blessed to live in this age of technology.

Well done!!!!!!

10. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

I also want to stress that we did not change our diet. He still eats pancakes for breakfast! What the cgms has allowed us to do is better manage his insulin, reducing spikes. We also started prebolusing, which we did not do before cgms.

11. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

12. KarenRI

KarenRI Approved members

Excellent news! Congratulations! 6.4 is fantastic!!!

I love CGM. My son went from 7.7 to 6.7 in six months on full-time CGM, while being in the throws of puberty. We could not have achieved that A1C safely without CGM. I could never get him below 7.2 in the past.

Don't give up on your fight for coverage. We got Nate's sensors covered (United Health). Maybe the tide is turning and the health ins. co's will start jumping on board soon. Many of the JDRF studies (to provide data to help ins. co.'s accept CGM as standard care) are winding down, and I'm sure they are beginning to submit their findings.

Good luck, and great job!!

Karen

13. Lee

Lee Approved members

Wow - to great A1C stories - it makes me wonder why it isn't covered :mad:

14. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

Wow! That's my dream to have great control like that ! Way to go!!!!!!!!
    Judy:)

15. Lindy

Lindy Approved members

OUr A1c's on the CGM have been 6.8, 6.5 & 6.6 - that little device ROCKS!! We were never able to get below a 7 without the CGM!

Way to go on your 6.4!!!!!! :D

16. mph

mph Approved members

That's great to hear that CGMS are really helping you manage D even better!!!!!!!!!:D

Great job!!!!!!!!!!:)

17. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

Same here. We went from upper 7's to 6.4 in just slightly over 3 months.
    Amazing stuff, isn't it.
    You bet we are using that knowledge in our appeal letters.
    Allene

18. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

That's incredibly awesome - CONGRATULATIONS!!!:D:D:D

19. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

GREAT A1c.. we go in about two weeks, according to her meter her A1c should be about what westins is.. last time it was bumped into the 7s.. I'm hoping even with that horrible hospital stay and DKA that her A1c will be fantastic like yours..

I agree with others.. the changes I make, and letting Kaylee have lower targets during the day and night I wouldn't be able to do without the cgms.. In time, soon hopefully, cgms will be as standard as pumps:)

20. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

Congrats! I love to hear news like this:D

We should have our insurance appeal answer within the next 28 days for that little gem (CGMS) your talking about!