- advertisement -

Allergy to insulin???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Chippy28, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Chippy28

Chippy28 Approved members

I am hoping someone might be able to help me with my allergy issue I am experiencing. The rollercoaster BGs and itching that I am experiencing is driving me up a wall!!

A little background info first...about a year and a half ago, I noticed that I was getting an itchy skin reaction at my infusion set. At first it only happened a couple times a month and slowly it got worse to where each set would become itchy after about 8-12 hours after insertion. When I would remove the infusion set, I was left with a hard, raised, itchy welt in the size of the infusion set tape. The itching also continued for a week and a half after removal. I spoke with the CDE/pump trainer at my endo's about a month ago. We thought it was an adhesive allergy. I have used multiple tapes and multiple barrier wipes under the set and in different combos with not much help. I have also tried Benadryl spray. I then decided to try a steel set to see if it was a teflon allergy. I have been using sample Orbit sets for about a week and a half now and I am still having a reaction. Though not as bad, I am still left with a raised, itchy welt when removing the set.

Could this be a localized allergy to insulin? I am using Novolog now (the only fast acting that I have used since Dx). Should I try Humolog or Apidra? I am at a loss right now, so any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated!:)

Oh and I am so far not having an issues with the Dexcom tape. (*knock on wood* :D)

2. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I get welts from Lantus and Apidra. I get some welts from every infusion set, but they're most tolerable with Humalog and if I change my site every 48 hours. Seems like trying a different insulin would be the next logical step.

3. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Seems to me the most logical thing would be to try a shot in correction and see if that causes a welt. If yes, then switching insulins is probably warranted.

4. Chippy28

Chippy28 Approved members

Never thought about that, I will have to give it a try!

Thanks for the responses. I called my endo's office last week and never got a return call. Thinking it is time to switch to a new endo.:rolleyes: