- advertisement -

Allergy to adhesive on Inset infusion set

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by karliesmom, Sep 21, 2009.

1. karliesmom

karliesmom Approved members

Hi everyone,
    We are finally in the process of ordering my daughters pump! After 2 1/2 years of injections.... Woohoo! Last Wed. we had our first appt. with the nurse and she had us each put on an infusion set (my ex, myself and Karlie). We wore them for about 24 hours and I found they stuck great. The only problem I found is that there is a red patch on my daughters stomach from where her site was. It isn't the size of the whole adhesive patch though...maybe half. It is raised and red but doesn't itch or really bother her. There is no infection where the actually cannula was. Has anyone had experience with this? I am going to try an arm sight tonight for 24 hours to see what it does there. I am worried about spending all the money on the pump and then her being allergic to the site adhesive. Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated!
    Kim

2. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

if it's really a reaction to the tape, there are things you can put under the set.. like IV3000 or tegaderm.

My skin is always red and angry when I pull off a set.. and it usually stays that way for 12-24 hours. That's not really an allergic reaction, since nothing happens until I pull it off.. I think my skin just reacts to the removal.

3. TracieandJim

TracieandJim Approved members

I was just about to start a new post regarding exactly this. We did a site change tonight and this is the 3rd site change with the same reaction. Should I be concerned?

4. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I would be concerned. In my experience, red raised areas prevented insulin absorption.

But when I've asked CWDers about this, the answers I've gotten suggest that a mild irritation at the site is pretty common, and some people use another adhesive as a barrier for most of the area. But the range of irritation seems to be pretty great, from a lot of people with a mild reaction to a fewer people with a major reaction. I think my skin reactions were on the severe end of that spectrum.

It is worth noting that most pump companies will refund you most of your money if you want to return it within a certain time frame.