- advertisement -

All time high insulin for one day

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Amy C., Dec 27, 2008.

1. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

We ate a lot of food on Christmas day. I just got around to looking at the TDD for the past few days. My son used 95.7 units of insulin on the 25th.

He is usually high for hours and hours after these big meals. We both guessed by giving large boluses that seemed outrageous at the time -- 10 units a couple of times and then 20 units a couple of times as well, with a few smaller boluses inbetween.

He did spike up to 376 for an hour or so, but it came down quickly and was nothing like the 18 hours it took to get his sugar back in range on Thanksgiving.

He tested 13 times that day and stayed in range the next day.

I was tired of treating the highs after the holiday meal and decided to proactively treat them many hours earlier.

2. wilf

wilf Approved members

My 12 year old daughter had her all-time high of 71 units on Christmas Eve..

3. Stacey Nagel

Stacey Nagel Approved members

Jesse, 16 1/2 ....... 6 " 4 inches tall and 180 lbs had his highest TDD last month of a whopping 137 U in one day...

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Wow. The big boy wins.

My son is 6'3"+ and about 145 pounds. I expect in a year and half, he will be going through a cartridge of insulin a day. (Animas holds only about 180 units after priming.)

Teenagers don't need the precise dosages a young child does. When my son is high, he needs a lot of insulin. When eats a lot, he needs a lot of insulin. I am having him use the pump, but the settings need some adjustment.

It would help if he did something else besides sit around during this vacation.

5. karpoozi123

karpoozi123 Approved members

I've beat all of you. And of course it was on a holiday!

6. Stacey Nagel

Stacey Nagel Approved members

Jesse's Cozmo holds 300U and he has to change it very often. I cant keep up.. Tonights dinner-was 250 gms... his ins to carb ratio is 1:6.5 .thats close to 40U just for his dinner..
    We went out to his fav Greek restaurant... and he always gets a regular orange soda.. its tradition.. and he just eats sooooooooo much...
    and is hungry an hr later......
    His endo says its normal for his weight..