advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All those test strip container

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Cabins Crue, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Cabins Crue

Cabins Crue Approved members

Hello-- We use a one-touch ultalink.. and I hate to think of all those test strip containers in our landfills. What do you do with them? I have a zip lock bag full of them.. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. MyAngelEmma

MyAngelEmma Approved members

We give ours to Emma's class to use for crafts. The last project I know they used them for was to make "noise makers" for the pep rallies. They added pebbles or rice or something and decorated the outside of the canisters and voila...instant shakers for the pep rallies! Teacher says the kids love them!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  3. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

You raise an excellent point. Is there a recycle # in a triangle on the bottom? If not, perhaps we as parents can start to ask the manufacturers to put the strips in recyclable containers.

Not sure how up to date this is:

[​IMG] "Virtually everything made of plastic should be marked with a code. Not all types can actually be recycled. Types 1 and 2 are widely accepted in container form, and type 4 is sometimes accepted in bag form. Code 7 is for mixed or layered plastic with virtually no recycling potential. You should place in your bin only those types of plastic listed by your local recycling agency! Due to fluxuating market conditions, some colors or shapes may be useless to the recycling agency. "

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  4. timnshann

timnshann Approved members

hmmm, great question. We use ours for crafts too. My kids are little packrats as it is so they find uses for all kinds of random things:)

5. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

The One Touch Ultra strips container has a black top that looks like a policeman's hat or a person with a cap. If you cover the long part of the container with painter's tape or masking tape, it looks like a little person. Your child can decorate the face and body to make little action figures. Connor lines them up for battles.

6. Schleprock

Schleprock Approved members

That is a pretty neat idea ;) Thanks for sharing.

7. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I put them in the plastics recycling bin for garbage pick up day

8. XMumofType1aged8X

XMumofType1aged8X Approved members

We put ours in the recycling too!

9. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

this reminds me of this. Its insulin bottles reused as hummingbird feeders.
    LOL who has time to refill these things several times day!!
    cute htough

[​IMG]

10. Rusty

Rusty Approved members

Wow, very cool picture.

11. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

Thats no my garden,
    mine is more like this-still not my garden
    [​IMG]

12. Cabins Crue

Cabins Crue Approved members

Thanks for the great response... The container does not have a number for recycling.. and if you put them in your recycling bin and they dont take them they just put them in the trash next to the bin:confused: I will ask my son's teacher is she needs some.. keep the suggestions coming

13. Tweety8

Tweety8 Approved members

We recycle them too, along with the inset plastic thing... I just pull out the needle with scissors after I do a site change and throw that with the cover in my recycle bin too. I was actually wondering if there was a craft project to use those in because the blue and the pink colors are kinda cool.

14. MLH

MLH Approved members

Strip containers

I use mine to put fish food in! The rest I end up throwing away.:(

15. Java

Java Approved members

Picture is so cute. Great idea and the kids would love to watch the birds.

16. Skyefire

Skyefire Approved members

My mom is into crafting and sewing so she uses her to help keep her sewing box neat, needles, small beads, sequins etc... then she also uses one for extra pills in her purse (labeled of course)

Maybe contact a local girl guides or brownies group and see if they can use them

17. Wendyb

Wendyb Approved members

One thing I was told from the strip company was that they put a preservative onto the inside lining of the can to keep the strips fresh. I'm not sure of the chemicals that make up the lining, but I have thrown mine straight in the trash since hearing that. I was told this when I mentioned to the helpline that I was mixing same lot numbers together into one can to cut down on the number of bottles. They told me to stop doing this because they put just enough preservative into the can for 25 strips---and if I put 50 in (which I was doing) the preservative isn't adequate. Another lesson learned.

18. Daxdog

Daxdog Approved members

Ah. That is why the bottle says "Do not store test strips outside the vial."

19. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Ian does this too.

20. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

That's funny! Our kids are so creative (or really, really bored!).