- advertisement -

All of a sudden, for no apparent reason, things have gotten easier

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Snowflake, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

I almost hesitate to type this, since it feels like tempting fate and T1D has made me superstitious: Ever since about the third week of school, starting around Labor Day, we seem to have been in this golden period with diabetes.

Our daughter spends a lot of her days in range, her lows are mild, her spikes are usually modest and brief, and the pump settings seem to be just right, so that she comes back into range fairly quickly and predictably after a high or a low. In our 3 1/2 year journey with T1, we've never had a period remotely like this. Our norm has been to spend all night fighting highs, only to spend the next night giving 3 juice boxes, all with the exact same activity level and basal profile. It's like we're living a whole different diabetes reality these days -- honestly, like the one I've sometimes been mystified by in reading other parents' comments in this forum! It's not that diabetes has become 100% predictable or rational, but we now seem to live under loose rules, instead of capricious whims, about what works and how and when.

So, as always with diabetes, I'm trying to figure out the "why," which is obviously a fool's errand. It's not that we suddenly got more educated or savvy about bg management, because I threw up my hands with "the books" a long time ago. Is it that she's finally plateaued on her growth for a while? Is it that she's finally run through every day-care virus known to man? Is this just a little reprieve from the diabetes gods (my money's on this one)? Or do things typically get just a little less difficult in this age range?

We definitely have new challenges with starting elementary school -- celiac is becoming ever harder as she becomes more socially aware, and the school district health bureaucracy is a constant annoyance -- but man has it been nice not to have to take a deep breath before looking at her Dexcom trend graph each evening. I know there's no way to predict the future with this disease, but for as long as this lasts I'll be trying to catch up on my sleep, as much as our new baby will cooperate!

2. msschiel

msschiel Approved members

Glad you have been having a good run. We just got over a bunch of highs, although my son is quite a bit older than your dd. Not sure if it was his illness or a growth spurt. We should be able to start pumping soon, so I am hoping things get better with that. I hope it lasts for a while for you. The celiac would be hard with school.

3. dpr

dpr Approved members

We go through cycles of easy and hard. It definitely happens, enjoy it while your in the easy cycle :)
    We're in a hard one right now. The next easy one won't come soon enough...

4. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I'm not sure why it is--maybe the routine is good for d? Especially regular meal times instead if snacking all day, like pre schoolers sometimes do. We go through "easy" and hard times too.

I was just thinking last night...as I was getting back in bed after dealing with a teenagery 13 year old with high bg, how different it is at different ages. Little ones have their own challenges. But at least it's all you, not you trying to treat a disease through a snarky teenager.

I don't mean to discount the challenges of those with younger kids...I never had a 3 year old with d. Just commenting how different it is at different ages.

Glad you're getting some respite from the challenges of d. Here's to it lasting a while!

5. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Holy sweet Moses ^^^^^

Does yours eat a cup of yogurt and lord knows how much granola at 11pm then head off to bed without even considering a bolus?
    How about the ol' stare you in the face and rip off a sensor power play?

Sorry for the tangent. I fear my next "things have gotten easier" moment is a good 8 years away :O

6. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

We had an easier couple of years between toddlerhood and pre puberty. Enjoy it while it lasts ;)

7. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

Thanks to you and to the other posters! I hope it does, at least for a little while. I'm enjoying having a little breather, and it's good timing for my daughter, too, that our D anxiety has eased a little right when she's focused on making new friends and trying new activities.

8. caspi

caspi Approved members

I wouldn't say 8. More like 4. :wink: