- advertisement -

alcohol at college

Discussion in 'Parents of College Kids and Young Adults with Type' started by rita, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Testing is the key, and being prepared, I always drink unsweetened(no sweet drinks, no aspartame, no splenda) mixes, but still go really high, I don't drink beer, and only the odd glass of wine

2. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

3. Ali

Ali Approved members

As said test, test, test and try and eat while drinking and under bolus and set a temp basal at 95 percent or less. Better to wake up at 200 than to go way, way too low during the night. People drink; whether a teen at high school or college or a middle age man/female or a 70 year old male/female. If your kid never drinks then as we all know that is probably best but everyone should be prepared just in case.:cwds:ali

4. Mrs. Russman

Mrs. Russman Approved members

How long after drinking would lows affect someone? Ben made some poor choices over the weekend regarding alcohol that I found out about Monday morning. We battled lows all day Sunday, and Monday. but highs at night. Could this be residual effect of several drinks Saturday night?
    We've talked about alcohol and the affects on blood sugar before, but apparently it didn't sink in yet.

5. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Usually if I drink a moderate amount I will run low overnight and the next day, but not usually any more than that. A small amount (e.g. a small glass of wine) doesn't discernably cause overnight lows for me.

6. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

7. Ali

Ali Approved members

Adult here. I try and make sure I eat when drinking. I thought part of the issue was that the liver was busy processing the alcohol and did not "bother" with releasing any glucose. But if effects are being seen 8 to 12 hours after drinking then either being a bit lower overnight causes the issues or the liver impact is longer than expected. I do not observe the morning after issue but do adjust food and insulin while drinking. i.e. I eat a bit more than I dose for and I might reduce insulin for a few hours. Thanks for posting the study. :cwds:Ali

8. Niaz

Niaz Approved members

well, I'm a college student but I consume just soft drinks...so I'm not concerning about this topic.
    but it's good for us to consume some, occasional (at special days, parties..that we're going to eat much;)) . It will help us to control our BG better:)

9. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

I hope you're joking. Alcohol to control blood sugar is an irresponsible notion.

10. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I am not sure she communicated what she intended. English is not her first language.

11. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

I understand that. That's why I said I hope she's joking. As it stands, it's not something I'd want a young person to happen upon.

12. Niaz

Niaz Approved members

Oh yes, I wrote it bad. As dear Amy C. said I didn't communicate what I intended !
    Well, as the other friends were always concerning that they need to eat specific amount of carbs after consuming alcohol, in addition I thought that this extra ones may lead to gain weight and...
    so I just wanted to say to drink at appropriate occasions.
    Right?

I'd appreciate any comment whenever mine needs to be mentioned:)

13. Cowboymom

Cowboymom New Member

I have a son who is going to off to college in the fall, if you wait until they are packing, it is too late! Guess you can play "catch up", but I started talking to our son when he was 14! I know that sounds young, but think about it, how many of us waited until we were off to college to have our first drink?

That being said, there has been a whole lot of really wonderful information posted on here. Some I did not know. My greatest fear with our son was the same as everyone, it isn't the highs, but the lows.

Every family's dynamics are different. I have been to a few of the CWD conferences and we all learned quite a bit. I will never forget my usually undemonstrative husband coming back from a men's meeting. He hugged our son and told him how proud he was of him. He had listened to fathers recount how their children gorged on food and one who was the same age as our son who had to hold his son down to give him insulin shots everyday. One thing I do know is that we do the very best we can managing his diabetes but it does not manage us. Our son has diabetes, diabetes does not have our son. It is something that we deal with and go on with our lives. It might have something to do with that we live on a ranch and our lives are anything but scheduled. Also, having drugs in our fridge was nothing knew. Just had to get used to those really little needles and syringes before the pump!

I talked with our son about all his options. Maybe it is because we live in a state that had medical marijuana and dispensaries but unless we lived in a state that had jail time with possession, I would have had the same talk. People think the sex talk is hard, try having the "pot" talk with your kid when they think you are June Clever!

One thing I have pounded into our son is to keep his cell phone with him at all times, period. Threatening to take it away if they do not answer it works wonderfully. They cannot imagine life without a cell phone.

I have read more than one study that has said that type 1 diabetics in this age group are healthier and less likely to engage is risky behavior. I believe it.

Hope this helps and please don't flame me...

14. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Not flaming...but here, with personal experience, to say that isn't always true.

15. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

In my opinion it's never too late to open lines of communication. I think it's a good idea to talk about plans, what ifs - because as much as we'd like to think our kids won't engage in risky behavior, it happens with the best of young adults. Talk to roommates about what ifs too. Your endo can speak one on one with your young adult without parents in the room. I think this is a good idea. It's such a fine line between standing your ground on what is acceptable behavior versus discussing plans what to do "if" because you don't want to give them an okay on some things. I think it's better to know what to do because likely it will. In talking with our boys, it's my goal to make sure they know we're not trying to be difficult - we're just wanting for them to find success in whatever they do. We're on their side not against them.

16. Cowboymom

Cowboymom New Member

I mentioned to our son that I had visited this site in search of a good endo for him. He is trying to make the transition from ped endo, Dr. Buckingham, to an adult one. It has been hard, Dr. Buckingham won't recommend one and we have been to three different ones.

He said that the worst thing a parent can do his try and micro manage their child. If they don't know what they are doing by the time they go to college, they are in trouble before they even start. I told him about parents telling their roommates and friends. He said that would probably make the person engage in more risky behavior. His friends know because HE told them.

I know from going to a couple of CWD conferences how this consumes some families. It is something that is dealt with and life goes on.

17. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

As long as roommates and friends know, it doesn't matter who tells them just so there's a plan as to how to handle certain situations imho. Just as a side, people are diagnosed at very different ages. My son was diagnosed 2 months before heading off to college. Some are diagnosed in college and beyond.

18. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Respectfully, how each family handles the transition varies, as do the decisions made by the college student with diabetes.

19. Maggie M

Maggie M New Member

Tricia, I love the pro-active approach. I am a nervous wreck about the drinking. Kristen will be my 4th child heading off to college next year. She refuses to wear her medic alert bracelet. We are working on that. I have threatened to have it tattooed on her arm if she won't wear it. :cwds:

20. MrsBadshoe

MrsBadshoe Super Moderator

I just bought Connor a "manly" silver one for graduation...and he is being told (well convinced nicely) that he must wear it at college. He will be in Manhattan not a small college town. He needs to have some kind of ID if something happened.

The drinking thing I'm learning to deal with. He and his buddies are headed to Montreal after HS graduation because the drinking age it 18. Though there is a little road bump as his buddy booked it for the day before Connor's sisters 8th grade graduation. So, he might not get to go....Oh Darn!!! LOL