- advertisement -

Again with lowes that won't stop! PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by cgbphp, Jan 3, 2012.

  1. cgbphp

    cgbphp Approved members

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2011
    Messages:
    36
    So I posted yesterday about my son who is 3 dropping to the 50's so I finally got him up after suspending his pump and giving about 60 carbs. Once again today we are back in the 50's I changed basals and still having issues. He was 54 suspended and gave 50 carbs rechecked thirty minutes later still 54. I finally had his endo paged and she said to keep giving carbs until his was 150 then set a temp basal for 50% until he hit 250 then turn it off. So he hit 150 and I set the temp basal and thirty minutes later he is 68. I suspened again and started giving carbs and we are now 130. He is still suspended and I am trying to get back to 150. She suggested giving half the glucagon injection. Has anyone ever done this. Oh yea and he went 12 and a half hours with out peeing!!!!!!!! Finally I told him if he didn't we had to go the hospital and I got him to go but just a little. Any adivice would help I know I am in for a very long night!!!
     
  2. Lee

    Lee Approved members

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2006
    Messages:
    9,633
    I am sorry, but it is going to be a very long night. Sounds like his pancreas decided to play tonight. We had nights like these off and on for almost 3 years while she was honeymooning.

    First, take the pump off - just disconnect it and let it run until he is above 250.
    Second, consider giving a mini glucagon if he keeps dropping - http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_0j_20w.htm
    Third, discuss with your endo about making more aggressive dosing changes.

    ETA: Once he is above 100, give protein - peanut butter and jelly, chocolate milk, something with carbs and protien to keep the bs steady.
     
  3. cgbphp

    cgbphp Approved members

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2011
    Messages:
    36
    The endo told me to call tomorrow and let her know how things went and if it persisted and he still wasn't urinating to take him to the hospital. He is still off his pump and I am waiting for him to get to 250. He never had a honeymoon phase after diagnosis. Is it possible thats what is starting? Also any ideas whats going on with this no peeing thing? I have no clue if the two are related but it has me worried because he has drank plenty of fluids today. And only going potty twice in 24 hrs can't be good.
     
  4. GRANDY

    GRANDY Banned

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2009
    Messages:
    59
    If it was me, I would go to the ER with or without approval from your Endo.
     
  5. Lee

    Lee Approved members

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2006
    Messages:
    9,633
    When was he diagnosed? It is possible for it to kick in a few months after. Also, he may be coming down with a stomach virus that hasn't manifested into vomiting yet.

    If he isn't running a fever or saying that peeing is hurting him, then I wouldn't worry to bad. Also see if his lower back hurts in case of a kidney infection.

    ETA: I would push more liquids - ones with carbs to help the peeing along - how old is he again?
     
  6. cgbphp

    cgbphp Approved members

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2011
    Messages:
    36
    He just turned 3 on Dec. 30th He was diagnosed 6 months ago
     
  7. Lee

    Lee Approved members

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2006
    Messages:
    9,633
    So he is old enough to tell you that something hurts...good news. I know another member here whose kid frequently has drops like this, even after a few years, so it isn't that unusual. How is his blood sugar now?

    I mentioned the stomach flu because prior to vomiting, food absorption slows down, causing low blood sugars (we see bad lows one to two days prior to a tummy flu).
     

Share This Page

- advertisement -

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice