- advertisement -

After School Tutoring & Yoga with Mom

Discussion in 'School and Daycare' started by mysign17, Feb 9, 2009.

1. mysign17

mysign17 Approved members

I am in Texas and in this state grades 3 - 10 are administered a TASKS test, which is a huge deal. The teachers teach to this test all year... but that is another issue for another time. My son's teacher recommended him for Saturday "Pit Stop", which is a time for extra tutoring for the writing section of the test. I thought it was a great idea until after his first visit. The 4th grade peer facilitator, or some such title, called to inform me that, "because of Tyler's diabetes we are going to excuse him from "The Pit Stop". The then explained that because there is no nurse on duty, that they felt as if they were not prepared to give him the care he needs. He is there from 8 to noon and only requires a snack at 9:45, which is when the rest of the kids get a snack. His diabetes rarely goes low in the morning as he is comming out of the honeymoon phase. I thought this problem over for a while and decided to call the lady back and inform her that I would go with him to "The Pit Stop" to give him the care he needs. She consulted the principal and they agreed to let me try it this past Saturday. Everything went smoothly, except I noticed that when Tyler handed one of the teachers his "diabetes kit", they handed it back as if it contained some horrible disease. Maybe I am over reacting. I don't know rather to tell the pricipal (it was her decision to exclude him from the extra tutoring in the first place) that he is violating Tyler's rights or if I should just let it go. I haven't had any trouble with the school so far so I hate to complain. And I have no problem going with him as it helps me to help him with his writting at home. So it is really like I we have gained more than we have lost.

Also, my son has shown an interest in doing yoga with me since I got a new yoga DVD. I think it is great for him to hang out with me and I know that yoga will help his balance. My question is, will yoga be enough exercise when he isn't able to go out and play? Yoga can get the heart rate up so we always meditate for a few minutes afterwards, just to calmdown the body. Any thoughts?:cwds:

(Please pardon any spelling errors I am having a hard time getting the spell check to download)

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Well, I think you just need to call the principal and say that your son is going to Pit Stop - and you expect his 504 accomodations to be met, so what are they going to do? Its that simple. 4th graders cannot be expected to facilitate these accomodations.

I'm sure they didn't hand his bag back like it had a disease. I'm sure they just didn't know why he was handing his bag to them.

3. mysign17

mysign17 Approved members

I have an ARD meeting with the school in a couple of weeks (he has a speech problem), I think I will schedule a meeting with the principal then as well. I knew that is what I should do anyways, just needed to hear someone agree with me! Thank you.