- advertisement -

After School Care/Summer Care

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by HelenaHandBasket, May 28, 2013.

1. HelenaHandBasket

HelenaHandBasket Approved members

At what point do you feel comfortable leaving your T1D child home either alone or with an older sibling?

I'm going back to work full-time days and while I will have childcare for the summer, I'm thinking ahead to after-school care. I am a nurse and work
    7a-3p at a facility about an hour away. I get home between 4-5p. My middle-schoolers will get home at 3:30p and my youngest at 4p. There is a responsible adult on the street a couple houses down in the event of an emergency.

There are no laws in regard to leaving children home alone where I live. And babysitting a sibling is appropriate if the parent feels the older sibling is responsible enough to supervise the younger siblings.

He is headed into middle school next year where he will be responsible for managing his own care (not as much hands on care as in the elementary school) and is already independent with supervision with his care now.

I know it's a big milestone in the life of a T1D kid to stay home alone. Just wondering what you guys have done or are doing.

2. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Mine wasn't diagnosed until 13. But starting in 6th grade she went home alone after school. We lived literally across the street from the school and our downstairs neighbor worked from home so there was someone she could find if she needed to. Never had any problems.

She was diagnosed a week before 8th grade and we didn't change anything she still went home by herself after school. I had her text when she got home.

If you're comfortable with it I don't see any problem.

3. Abbysmom

Abbysmom Approved members

I have not yet crossed this hurdle

But I noticed something interesting.

He won't actually be home alone. There is at least one sibling with him at all times. I would probably be just fine with it.