- advertisement -

AFREZZA - A very different inhaled insulin

Discussion in 'Research' started by jet59or, May 27, 2010.

1. jet59or

jet59or Approved members

2. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Not in my child's lungs.

You can see my comments at the link under ConsumerAdvocate

3. jet59or

jet59or Approved members

I understand your concerns and this IS more of a financial type of article. Still, I respect Dr. Skyler and he seems pretty excited about it. Maybe there is something to it?

4. carbz

carbz Banned

Even if it proves effective and not dangerous to the lungs it doesn't address any of the real critical problems that diabetes causes like abnormal sugar fluctuations and secondary complications. Most diabetics have no problems with injections. The only advancement in Insulin therapy even remotely discussing is Smart Insulin IMO. However if there was no additional cost to use it over conventional insulin and it controlled sugars at least as good and possibly better I would certainly make the switch. Interesting though if it does get comercialized the whole pump thing could end in disaster which I could care less about cause I've stuck with injections 35 years into this.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  5. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

It is a financial article and there were some outrageous claims in there too without any evidence to back them up (i.e. "In the future, MannKind should be able to show that no carb counting will be required, that you may only have to check your glucose around once a week, as opposed to many times a day and that they may even be able to halt the progression of Type II diabetes thereby increasing a patient?s lifespan by as much as a decade").

And you likely are aware of the following, but I think some may not:

http://cme.medscape.com/viewarticle/709649

Authors and Disclosures
    As an organization accredited by the ACCME, MedscapeCME requires everyone who is in a position to control the content of an education activity to disclose all relevant financial relationships with any commercial interest. The ACCME defines "relevant financial relationships" as financial relationships in any amount, occurring within the past 12 months, including financial relationships of a spouse or life partner, that could create a conflict of interest.

MedscapeCME encourages Authors to identify investigational products or off-label uses of products regulated by the US Food and Drug Administration, at first mention and where appropriate in the content.

Moderator(s)

Jay S. Skyler, MD

Professor of Medicine, University of Miami, Miami, Florida

Disclosure: Jay S. Skyler, MD, has disclosed the following relevant financial relationships:
    Served as an advisor or consultant to: BD Technologies; Ideal Life; Johnson & Johnson Pharmaceutical Research & Development, L.L.C.; MannKind Corporation; Medingo Ltd.; Merck Serono; Novo Nordisk; Patton Medical Devices, LP; Salutria; sanofi-aventis; Tethys Bioscience, Inc.; Teva Neuroscience, Inc.; Valeritas, LLC
    Served as a speaker or a member of a speakers bureau for: Eli Lilly and Company; Novo Nordisk; sanofi-aventis
    Received grants for clinical research from: Bayhill Therapeutics; Halozyme Therapeutics; Osiris Therapeutics, Inc.
    Owns stock, stock options, or bonds from: Amylin Pharmaceuticals, Inc.; DexCom Corporation; MannKind Corporation; Medingo Ltd.; Moerae Matrix, Inc.; Patton Medical Devices, LP; Tandem Diabetes Care, Inc.; Tethys Bioscience, Inc.
    Served on board of directors: Amylin Pharmaceuticals, Inc.; DexCom Corporation; Moerae Matrix, Inc.

6. jet59or

jet59or Approved members

No, I was not aware of that - thanks for pointing it out. Jan

7. Pavlos

Pavlos Approved members

I stopped reading the article at that point!

8. buggle

buggle Approved members

Skyler has made some pretty outrageous comments in articles. I wrote him about one and called him on it with sources, but he never wrote back.

ETA: I am so bothered by these conflicts of interest with so many of these "researchers." Then they go around giving talks in their academic hats and people take them at their word as unbiased experts, when they have serious, serious conflicts of interest and much to gain financially for certain products and devices.

I feel that our entire research system is corrupted -- most of our university system too. Big business and industry have way too much influence and say over the research that is done in this country. Also way, way too much influence over the oversight agencies like FDA, the funding agencies and the non-profit foundations.

Last edited: May 28, 2010