- advertisement -

Affordable Pump Wear

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Tena, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Tena

Tena Approved members

I am just wondering. If there was affordable pump wear, What would be most important for you to have? PJ's, dresses, skirts, pants, shorts?

I am thinking of doing something along this line. Since Emily was dx'd we have looked at pumpwear off and on. But with everything D being so expensive there is no way I can afford to pay $25-$45 for a NIGHTGOWN. I have some ideas but would like some input to what there would be a market for.

I would have to make some profit but I want to make things that would be very affordable since D products are so expensive. Any input welcome. Thanks.

I dont know if I would get an ebay store or if I would try to launch my own website(would have to get em's help with this as I have no clue). Sewing I know but computers? YUK. Any way Thanks is advance. Tena

2. Tena

Tena Approved members

Are there not any interests? I was hoping to help as I know that a lot of people have been going through the same financial worries we have.

Just to clarify, I will not be looking to make big profits as I want many people to be able to afford what they need.

Thanks.

3. melissajm

melissajm Approved members

We have been looking for new ways for Lilly to wear her pump during the day & at night. I hate that she has to wear a pump pack all the time. The belt clips just don't work for a 6 year old! Also now looking for boys PJ's for Ben. He is big enough that he can wear a pump pack or belt clip during the day.

Melissa

4. Lee

Lee Approved members

I just wanted to say - you don't need it!

For sleeping, have her clip it to her pants, or put it in a pocket, or safety pin a sock to her nightgown.

For daytime - it is pants waist or pocket, or if she does leg sites, her sock! Also, they DO make a pump garter and a pump bra, but I am not sure on the prices of those!

5. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

I've been thinking same thing myself. don't know much about sewing though-could be a problem:D

but I think I would like to see more leg thigh things. there seems to be only 1 or 2 on market, and I didn't feel like paying 30 plus bucks to find out that one size does not fit all. I think i did find one site that had colorful thigh things, but they were quit expensive if I remember right. we/she has such a problem with dress that she rarely wears one.

my dd doesn't wear the pump belt things. we can find cell phone cases rather cheap-5and below, then I've found some cheap ones at newyorkcellphone I think they are the poire cell phone cases

6. TracieandJim

TracieandJim Approved members

Emmasmom can probably answer your questions. She sews for her daughter and has an Ebay store. Her clothes are adoreable! Sadly shes not making boys clothes yet :(

7. Tena

Tena Approved members

I was thinking of purchasing readymade pj's and adding pockets to those. But I have some patterns for some really cute dresses that I could hide a pump pocket in, where it would be accessable from the outside but the tubing would not be seen. I know Emily does not like wearing her pump clip and at night she was sleeping with the pump in her bra. but now she say that is uncomfortable too. I know she would not safety pin a sock as she would be afraid it would come undone and poke her.(she is funny that way)

In fact the other night her pump came out of her bra and somehow the tubing got caught up around and got tied in a knot. NO insulin delivery, not sure for how long. Anyway took us 4 hours to get her bg back to normal and what a scare. That is what got me to thinking about this. We looked online to see about nightgowns and they were soooo expensive and I was like "I can do that ! and I could do it so much cheaper than that."

Emily is the one who thought it would be a blessing to those with smaller children because she knows how she would hate wearing that pump pack everyday, and night too.

What I may do is make a couple of things up, take pics and post them and see what ya'll think. Thanks for the replies.

8. Tena

Tena Approved members

I was also thinking of adding hidden pockets on the BACK of little boys shirts so the parent would have access to the pump but the child would not. (mainly for toddlers) What do you think?

9. TracieandJim

TracieandJim Approved members

I would be interested !

10. Tena

Tena Approved members

Emily usually wears her pump in her hose when she wears a dress. She only wears dresses and skirts so we have found lots of innovative ways to wear the pump. She also puts it in her bra.

11. lotsoftots

lotsoftots Approved members

I know my sister bought a thigh pack she paid 40:eek: She got the thing and it didnt work right kept falling down her leg, she told me there really isnt many things geared for adults, everyone wants to do for kids or charge outrageous prices..I did open an e-bay store doing pump paks I hardly get orders since its something out of the norm to look for on e-bay and most people go looking at on-line store for such things..I also do American Girl doll clothes which I do very well with and I can make some $$$$$ but I get more joy out of making the pump paks even thou I almost give them away..makes me feel better :)

12. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

My vote would be boxer shorts for boys. Carson likes to sleep in his boxers, and the pump just hangs loose in the bed when he does. There are some boxers w/pockets for pumps, but from what I remember, the pockets were on the INSIDE of the shorts. Sorry, but I'm not going to dig around inside his shorts in the middle of the night to get the pump out :eek:

So I'd love boxer shorts w/the pocket on the outside of the shorts!!!

13. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

I don't wear pajamas at night, (I don't like them, never have, probably never will) So the bra thing has worked up to the knot thing. I put my pump in my pocket during the day, and if the skirt doesn't have a pocket, I put it in my bra, or wear my spibelt. As far as the pump bra...those things are about $35 and I'm NOT about to pay that much for a SPORTS bra. That's just plain ridiculous. However, THe pantyhose thing works REALLY well for church and stuff, because that's when I REALLY don't want it to show, and I hate when it falls out of my bra and I can't get it back in. I just put on my pantyhose *I only do backside and stomach sites* and slip it down right beside my knee (on the inside) of course if you wear a shorter dress/skirt you have to put it higher up. So far so good on that one, and it worked really well when I went to church camp!!

But lil kids don't need to have to worry about their pumps and stuff. They want to look "pretty" too, and don't need to have to wear a pump pack around everything, or have tubing going everywhere!!

14. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

One thing which woud be nice is making pjs with pump pockets that are padded, to avoid discomfort.

And Tees with pump pocket on the side too would be cool.

I saw a lady once here, whose son wears a pump. He was 6 at the time. She sewed pockets from old bedsheets onto his undershirts, on the side.

You know what really would be great??? Making miniature pumps out of fabric and sell those. The kids could make their fave doll/teddybear wear them. You could get the kids' fave colour and everything, adding accessories too, like sparkles, etc.

15. lotsoftots

lotsoftots Approved members

for night I made Samantha some paks out of flannel so they are nice and soft..I wouldnt suggest flannel for all the time since they pil after a lit of wear, she loves it..didnt think of padding them, that might be an ideal.

As far as the fabric pumps I had to make my 4 year old a play pump I just used a small box that I made to size and we colored it so it looks like his sisters and I gave him his own pump pak..now every time he eats anything hs tells me he has to bolus for his fifteen hundren carbs..lol

16. khannen

khannen Approved members

I would love some dresses with the pocket on the outside and a slit for the tubing or something so the tube would be under the dress. I've been pondering how to just alter the dresses she has, but haven't quite figured it out yet.

17. Lee

Lee Approved members

I altered a dress - I removed the seam where I wanted the pocket to be - about three inches (then remember to reinforce - re-sew - where you took the seam out).

Then, I took a piece of material and sewed it into a pocket with a small hole for tubing and then carefully re-sewed it to the three inch seam, and then sewed a piece of velcro so the pump wouldn't fall out.

I did this by hand and it took a couple of hours, but it was worth it - she looked pretty and it was the one dress she wore since diagnosis!

18. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

My mom has the CUTEST lil girls' dress patterns, that are already supposed to have pockets on them, so she was planning to alter them to make it a "pump" pocket.

19. kyleesmom

kyleesmom Approved members

Kylee isnt pumping yet, but I hope she will be in the next few months. My biggest worry for clothing for her is pjs. She likes to wear DHs old tshirts I have no idea how we are going to work that.

20. jendean

jendean Approved members

Boys soft boxer shorts... :)