- advertisement -

Advice - what type of pump are you using?

Discussion in 'Insulin Pumps' started by xstaybeautiful, Jul 25, 2008.

1. xstaybeautiful

xstaybeautiful Approved members

I'm currently considering starting a pump and I would like to hear what type of pumps everyone else is using and comments. After all, I think users have a little more insight since they are the ones living with them each day, right? :)

There are so many different models that I am having a hard time really making one clear choice. right now, I'm leaning towards the omnipod.
    I'm a very active person and don't want to be bogged down with a large pump (not to mention tubing) which makes the omnipod appealing. However, I am unsure of the omnipod because I am a teen and tend to wear close fitting clothes/bathing suits/dresses quite often and I'm not sure how I would feel about having a "lump"-like omnipod underneath of whatever I am wearing.

Any suggestions?

2. ChristiK

ChristiK Approved members

Hello there,
    My son, 9 years old just started the Omnipod in February. He loves it. He was on shots before that, so we have no other testimony for you on other pumps.
    On the issue of it bumping up under your clothes, I think it would be harder to be a girl with a pump. One thing that is great about wearing the Omnipod is that you can attach it in a lot of different places. You can put it on your upper arm, your thigh, your abdomen, etc. So, there are some places where you can hide it. I know it is probably hard with all the very form fitting clothes. You may need to try some modest clothing in the spot you choose to attach the pod. the stomach and the thigh are probably the best "hiding" places. Swimsuits, you are out of luck, unless you get a tankini with a loose fitting top. My son thinks it is pretty cool to have his showing. he won't let me put it on his thigh to hide it under his trunks!
    My advice to you, is that you need to be okay with people knowing you are Diabetic and that you have a device on you to control it. And that is Okay. The more secure you are with people knowing, the healthier you will be.
    Good luck to you. It is a hard decision to make.
    Christi - Mom to James (age 9 ) diagnosed at 3

3. xstaybeautiful

Thanks, I have heard more good things about the omnipod than bad.
    and my worries about it protruding from under clothing aren't so much due to the fact that I don't want people to know I'm diabetic, but more along the lines that people won't know that the lump under my clothes is indeed a pump and come up with other strange conclusions. haha! i've found it's not exactly easy to take shots in public places and not get strange looks either. :p

has your son had problems keeping the omnipod on? that is one of the only other complaints I have heard of.

4. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

I am a teenager and I have the MiniMed pump. I chose it because it has an integrated CGMS so I can see my bgs just by looking at the screen. Anyway, its not huge at all, about the size of a credit card. I think its less obtrusive than the OmniPod as I can simply clip it on the inside of my pants. You can't see it at all, no bulges. I like to wear tight clothes and bikinis. I like that I can disconnect the pump to swim and go in the hot tub. Tubing doesn't bother me at all, it doesn't for most people.
    You should meet the pump reps and play and feel all the pumps. You can get a free dummy OmniPod on its website to see if its right for you. I've met 2 kinds of people when it comes to the OmniPod- those who think its tiny, unobtrusive and comfortable and those who think its huge, bulges and uncomfortable to wear. Its strange to hear the different perspectives people have on the same device! So you should try it out to see what you think :cwds:

5. ChristiK

ChristiK Approved members

I agree with Miss Behave, you should try out all the different ones you are considering. My son wore the pod for 3 days without it being filled to let him know what it is like to have it on all the time. Trying to sleep with it, shower, etc. You need to know what it feels like to be hooked up to something all the time.
    We have had a few times when the pod has had issues sticking. Mainly it came up when he started baseball and was really sweaty. We figured out that we needed to use an extra adhesive before applying the pod. We use these wipes called Skin-tac. They work just like an alcohol wipe, but they have sticky adhesive on instead. Works great. This has also helped when he goes swimming. James is very active when it comes to swimming. He loves to jump in the water a lot. So, sometimes the pod comes loose from one of the parts where the adhesive part attaches to the pod. and then it hurts because the cannula is being pulled at.
    Omnipod is already addressing these issues by redesigning the pod with more adhesive and some other improvements.
    What I like about the Omnipod is that it is waterproof and James is always getting the insulin he needs.
    So, basically, there are drawbacks to every system, which is disappointing because you think the pump is going to solve all your problems. But in reality, you will have some new issues that you just have to deal with.
    Keep asking questions. All the people here will help you with real life experiences.
    Good Luck!

6. xstaybeautiful

thanks CristiK and Miss Behave!
    I also looked at the minimed 522 and like that one as well.

I'm currently trying to decide on a few top choices and am in the process of contacting those reps in my area so I can get a closer look at those individual pumps.

7. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

I have used both the OmniPod, and the MM722. I have both. I personally like the MM better. The OmniPod just doesnt work for me. I also suggest contacting reps and trying them out to see which one you like best. Good Luck with your choice!! :)

8. Omnikid

Omnikid Approved members

Omnipod

I like the omnipod. I don't think I would get anything else. It's so nice not to be attached to something all the time. The pods look bigger than they actually are. When you put the pod on your lower back, you can hardly till it's there. The PDM just looks like a PDA, so people might think your just checking something on your PDA instead giving a bolus. The omnipod has worked really well for me, but if your OK with being attached to a standard insulin pump, great. The only thing I don't like about the PDM is that I have to carry around the FreeStyle Navigator receiver too. Maybe someday they will combine the two:rolleyes:...

9. Kent T

Kent T Approved members

Hi,

We are an Animas family. My wife, Ingrid uses an Animas IR 2020, My older DS, Erik uses an Animas IR 2020, Younger (10 month old baby DS) , Bjorn uses a One Touch Ping (actually an updated Animas IR 2020 with remote control. We like Animas pumps due to their small size, smallest basal rate, freedom to choose a wide range of infusion sets, ruggedness, and superb technical support and trainers. My wife and adopted young sons have spina bifida as well. Erik hails from Sweden, Bjorn hails from Denmark, and Ingrid hails from Norway.

10. xstaybeautiful

thanks Kent T!
    It seems like my top three pumps have all been recommended :)

11. Rick

Rick Approved members

Back in June the Omnipod was working "well" for you and the Minimed didn't "work" for you. What happened to reverse you opinion of them?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  12. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

I'm not sure actually. I think it was really just the end of my honeymoon, and I came out of it abruptly. The OmniPod has also been giving me rashes from the adhesive. I run a lot higher on the OmniPod now than I use to. The MM works better for me now, because of the smaller adhesive patch, and the 90 degree sets. If the OmniPod worked better for me, I would have definately stayed on it, because I loved not being attached, but I guess it's just not for me. I have had a lot of problems with both though. MM pumps keep failing on me...for example, a few months back, everytime I put a resevoir into the MM, it leaked, and instead of getting the insulin, it was just leaking back into the pump. This happened with two pumps. Another time, the ACT button just stopped working, and another time, an error of some sort (I forget exactly). And, the people at Insulet have given us many problems, such as refusing to ship us supplies (they still won't!!). I'm trying to make the MM work, because my endo told me to just stick with it, but I am starting to think that pumping might not be for me...

Oh, and to answer your question...I favor the MM now because I get better results blood sugar wise...for now :rolleyes:

13. Rick

Rick Approved members

That's the best reason, I hope you're able to get your BG under control with the MM.

14. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Thanks. I'm trying really hard...but if it doesnt work out, I guess I'm going to have to go back to MDI...whatever keeps me healthier!

15. miss_behave

Aren't you getting a Cozmo? Maybe that'll work better for you :cwds:

16. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

I am trying to get a Cozmo, but the insurance is giving us a hard time, because they don't understand. They keep calling us, and saying that they wont cover another OmniPod...and we're not even trying to get another one. Sometimes I wonder...:rolleyes:

17. miss_behave

Oh ok, I hope they'll get their act together and cover it. Good luck!

18. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Thanks!! :)