- advertisement -

Advice Wanted

Discussion in 'Diabetes and College' started by dragonkeeper, Mar 8, 2008.

1. dragonkeeper

dragonkeeper Approved members

I am a senior this year in high school. I am about to go to college with type 2 diabetes. I was wondering if anyone might have any advice that they are willing to share.:)

2. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

I suggest you establish a relationship with an endocrinologist who really understands type 2 diabetes in a young adult on or close to campus and see the doctor regularly. The goal is to enjoy college, be healthy, have energy.

3. dragonkeeper

Thanks. I will try to do that.

4. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

5. ccarrol4

ccarrol4 Approved members

My suggestion, always make sure you have extra diabetic supplies, whatever it is you need. Have fun and make new friends. :)

6. dragonkeeper

okay. enjoy making new friends.

7. livacreature

livacreature Approved members

Communicate with your roommate. Let them know the signs of low blood sugar and where your glucogon pen is. Explain testing and all that jazz. Be open with your friends so they will understand why you aren't (always) indulging in late night pizza sessions. Keep lowcarb tasty snacks around for occassions that your blood sugars are wonky but you still want to hang out. If they go on a late night Waffle House run, you can go if your sugars are high and you are up to it, just order a salad and diet coke :) When around people drinking, always have a cup. I usually would have a rum and diet coke, and just kept refilling my diet coke if I didn't think it was a good time to drink much when my friends were. Ask for carb info if it isn't usually posted. They probably have it, just don't display it. Let your professors know beginning of the semester. It is helpful if they already know if you go low in the morning and end up running late for class. Try tomaintain a regular food schedule and sleep schedule. Watch your sugars very carefully around finals.
    Good luck!