- advertisement -

Advice on pump

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hanson's, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Hanson's

Hanson's Approved members

Hi all! our daughter age 5 was just diagnosed last week with type1. Were getting the hang of the shots. We also are in the market for a pump. Any advice or tips on a good pump for a 5 year old girl? (We have Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance...so if anyone has experience/advice, we'd appreciate it) Thanks TJ

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

All the pumps are great, each one has its own little special 'perks'. We use The Minimied (also known on the board at MM) pump. It has the lowest bolus/basal capabilities and has an intergrated cgms. It also has two reseveroir sizes, but that isn't as important right now as it will be later.

Pumping, and which pump to use, is a personal decision. All pumps out there are great and all do the same thing, pump insulin. I would contact your endo's office and ask them if you can make an appointment to see the pumps. The CDE should have a pump from each company that you can hold and play with. Or you could call each pump company and ask a rep to come out to the house. Be careful if you go this route as some reps will down talk another company to make theirs look better so its sometimes best to meet with the cde, they know all the pumps, their features, and they aren't making any money so they aren't going to push you to one pump over another.

3. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Our clinic has a "pump fair" where you can speak with the reps, hold the pumps, push the buttons and compare. I would really recommend something like that if you can go to one. Your endo might have some strong opinions based on the experiences of patients. Pumps usually are only in warranty for 4 years...so you might have the opportunity to switch to a different one later. Both the MM and the Animas Ping are great for pumps with tubes. The Omnipod is the tubeless pump.

4. BeerMargaritaMom

BeerMargaritaMom Approved members

My thoughts -

Sorry you have joined the club. I hope you find lots of support, tools, answers and understanding here.

My kiddos use Animas.
    We initially went with Animas because at the time 2007 for the first kid diagnosed it was the only pump with the 0.025 basal rate available. I don't believe that is the case now. I love the kids pumps and find Animas very easy to use but to be honest - if we were eligable for new pumps right now I would seriously consider the MM simply for the integrated CGMS. Animas has been promising integrated CGMS for the last two years but the Animas Vibe is only available in Europe. We have a DExcom CGMS but it requires carrying an extra reciever and kiddos boddies and waistlines are only so big.

I have no experience with OmniPod but I have friends who wear it or their kids wear it and they love it too.

If you think you will want to start using CGMS withing the next year or so you might consider the MM - (although I think their sensor has to be changed more frequently than the Dexcom 7 sensor which can sometimes stay in as long as 21 days and get fantastic results - please don't quote me on that as I have not used the navigator - MM CGMS)
    If you don't think you will need an integrated pump/CGMS in the next year I would say that we really love the ease of use the Animas Ping provides with remote bolusing especially for my 7 year old (pumping since 3 - Pinging since 4) because he would want to run off before we could dose him we would be pulling him back using the 23 inches of tubing - not great on infusion sites. The Animas Ping allows you to check a blood sugar and then bolus from the meter from 10 or more feet away. I once dosed my bathroom sink which was where my ds left his pump after a shower - I didn't know he wasn't wearing his pump so when sent the bolus it found the pump on the other side of the house and upstairs. Not sure if MM has the remote bolus feature yet.

Best of luck to you.

5. Hanson's

Hanson's Approved members

Thanks for the replys! Its one day at a time at our house. learning more and more every day. Does anybody know of a good glossary for terms of type 1?

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Try this link.. this is a many post 'sticky' of the terms we all tend to use here. If you haven't visited yet, go to the 'sticky' section within Parents of Type 1, LOTS of good info there.

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=9804