- advertisement -

Advice needed

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Kara, May 24, 2008.

1. Kara

Kara Approved members

My son is going to be staying overnight with my boyfriend's mother tonight. It was my boyfriend's birthday yesterday and he arranged for her to keep him so we could have a night out alone. She's T2 and on MDI, so she's familiar and comfortable giving him shots and checking BS. I've already written down his schedule, made a copy of his sliding scale, included a small book of carb counting, and packed up his supplies (including ketone test strips and a glucagon kit). We won't be leaving until after he eats dinner.

As much as I appreciate her watching him, I'm extremely nervous and can't shake the feeling I'm forgetting something. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Yes, try to enjoy your night out. It's just for one night, and you know your BF's mother is capable to handle the situation. Plus, if you have a cellphone, she can always call you.
    The first time away is sooooo hard...it's normal.

((HUGS)):cwds:

3. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

Let him run a little high if that makes the evening less nerve racking. Try to enjoy yourself. Sounds like she is very capable of the basics and that is really all you need. Do you test overnight? Is she going to test overnight?

4. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Sounds like you have everything organized and ready...I always have something packed for snacks and for treating lows too. I hope you have a wonderful night..of course you will worry..but thats what phones are for..:)

5. Kara

Kara Approved members

I do have a phone and I'm sure I'm going to be driving her crazy with it. ;)

I usually only test at night if I think there's a problem when I test him before his nighttime snack...or if I wake up in the middle of the night and my "mommy senses" are tingling.

I won't ask her to test him, but I might say if she wants to that it's ok. I'm going to call her to check his bedtime numbers as well.