- advertisement -

Advice needed: Grandma is barfing!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jenm999, Dec 24, 2014.

1. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

So my mom is here from Florida for Christmas and is holed up in a nearby hotel barfing her brains out. She's been puking for three days and didn't tell me, insists it's "food poisoning" and she's not contagious. Yeah. I get that she desperately wants to see her grandkids but what do I do? How do I get through to her that the flu means days and days of agony for our son, and the whole family for that matter? And potentially a hospital stay?

She's here till the 27th. I'm thinking of postponing Xmas a day or two to give her time to recuperate. Advice and links appreciated, and failing that please send me some strength as I break my mother's heart!

2. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

Three days sounds like a long time for food poisoning! At this point, I'd be as worried about her as about exposing others. Can you talk her into an urgent care visit? A diagnosis will also give you an idea of what kind of contact it's safe for her to have with the kids.

As far as salvaging the visit, is it possible for her to extend her trip, e.g., change the airplane tickets, move to your house when her hotel reservation ends, etc?

Good luck!

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

She has no other symptoms? No fever? No head ache? No body aches?

If it's absolutely "No" to all of the above then I suppose it could be food poisoning, but regardless, and I don't know how old your mom is what her health is, obviously, but 3 days of vomiting is going to leave her seriously dehydrated so I'd want her to drop by urgent care if only for that. And ply her with gatorade and honey tea.

4. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Some clarification from her husband: hasn't actually vomited since Monday, just nausea, diarrhea, cramps, can't eat or get out of bed. She's 61 and otherwise in great health. I have suggested urgent care. We may see how she is in the morning and just create a "hot zone" for her - but I need her to understand the ramifications for someone with no pancreas and compromised immune system. :) And if we do Christmas on the 26th it will be OK.

5. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Did your son get the flu shot? If she doesn't have a fever, then she likely isn't contagious anymore. And vomiting is typically NOT a symptom of flu. Maybe the "stomach flu", which is a misnomer, because its not the flu but just a stomach bug, but vomiting isn't a symptom of influenza, what we call the "flu"

And type 1 diabetics don't have a compromised immune system, so unless your son has another condition which compromises his immune system, he's no more likely to get the flu than another patient. It makes managing the diabetes a pain in the rear but not more contagious.

6. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Norovirus is not something that you take lightly. I would put my children first even if they didn't have diabetes. I would think it would be better to postpone a little.

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

^^ agree.

(mts)

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

If your mom can be trusted to be responsible about it (no hugging, kissing, sharing food/drink with the kids, etc.), I probably wouldn't postpone. It's not like it's some sort of airborne-transmitted disease. Your kids are more likely to catch something on a random trip to Target than if you just keep a No Contact Bubble Zone around grandma.

9. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Barfing bugs are one of my no brainer avoid at all cost things. Diabetes or no diabetes, I would NOT let my kids spend time with someone who had been throwing up and couldn't get out of bed. I'd delay.

10. dpr

dpr Approved members

If you can get away with it use her going to urgent care as a trade for the hot zone. Being that sick it's really for her own good!

11. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Good morning all, enjoying a quiet coffee while the kids play with their presents. Mom is feeling better but offered to postpone till tomorrow. I'm relieved and it takes pressure off all of us. We'll still do the bubble tomorrow but if she's starting to eat again I bet the worst has passed.

Related, I was under the impression that a T1's immune system was compromised. If not, why can't he get the flu mist instead of the shot? My misunderstanding. Maybe the risk-reward just doesn't add up. Anyway, as you can probably tell this is our first winter with diabetes and I'm a tad hysterical about it, having read horror stories here and on facebook. Just want to do everything I can to protect my little guy.

Thanks for all the ideas and supportive comments.

12. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

We were told at diagnosis that Type 1 itself doesn't compromise the immune system, but that the regular high bgs experienced by most diabetics do make it harder to fight infection and to heal. This is a hazy old memory so I hope someone else weighs in.

13. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

A Type 1 is not immunocompromised. They have an autoimmune disease. Honestly, that means that their immune system can sometimes be "hyper" because it works overtime.

Regular high BGs doesn't necessarily make it harder to fight infection and heal. Sustained high BGs over YEARS and YEARS can cause neuropathy, which is numbing in the extremities. Neuropathy can make it harder to fight infections and to heal - that's why they tell "Type 2" and long-suffering diabetics to be careful about their feet - because they can often develop neuropathy and the reduced nerves means they don't always feel when they have a cut and it can develop into an infection.

Type 1s are no more likely to get a disease than a non-type 1. The biggest reason to avoid diseases as a Type 1 is that if a Type 1 is sick, it typically results in higher BGs for a sustained period of time, which is harder to fight. The high BGs can also then lead to ketones, which are hard to fight. But being type 1 doesn't mean they are any more likely to get sick than others - and in some cases, less likely to catch diseases because their immune systems are actually strong - that's the case with Emma. She doesn't catch anything! :)

14. dpr

dpr Approved members

We do the flu mist every year. Our clinic requires our doc put in an order for it rather than the shot.

15. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

Phillip's the same, he never gets sick. My daughter is immune compromised, and gets everything going around.
    I've always avoided tummy bugs, not because of diabetes or anything, I just don't get why you'd risk someone else's health if you're unwell. My daughter also has a condition where she can't vomit, so tummy bugs are a huge problem for her (more so than Phillip). She's sick for weeks with what is a 24 hour bug for others.

16. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yeah, our kids can get the flu mist. I think it's contraindicated for T2s.

17. Mish

Mish Approved members

Does your son actually have no pancreas? Just wanted to clarify. If that's the case, you probably need to contact your doctor for specific medical advice regarding his condition, as most of us only understand illness as it relates to type 1, not someone without a missing pancreas.

18. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

No, he has his pancreas. Hyperbole, sorry.

19. Mish

Mish Approved members

ahh.hahahaah. Then carry on. :)