- advertisement -

Advice/help with keeping Dexcom CGM on in the shower and while swimming

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Anne, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Anne

Anne Approved members

Can anyone offer any advice/tips for keeping the Dexcom CGM adhesive from peeling when it gets wet? Any/all help much appreciated! Anne

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We put small strips of 2" hypafix around the tape and then overtape all of it along with the transmitter with a 4" square of hypafix. We do it as part of the insertion process, and only rarely have we had to do anything additional in the two weeks the sensor lasts.

3. steph

steph Approved members

Same here. we use opsite or hypafix around the edges of the dex. lasts 2 weeks with minimal peeling

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Opsite here. Four strips that frame the existing adhesive.

5. jacks101

jacks101 Approved members

We prep with SkinTac and then cut a Tegaderm and put it over top. If the Tegaderm starts to peel I trim the edges and put another on top. We can get 2 weeks and swim at least 1x/day.

6. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

8. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Took me long enough though. I feel like such an idiot when I can't figure out how to do things that my daughters do without giving a second thought!

9. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

We do Skin Tac and Hypafix at insertion and it usually works. At times, my son has had trouble with stuff sticking to him in the shower - no problems any other time but if he was taking a shower while really sweaty (after practices and games) the combo of sweat and shower was too much. We went really low tech and cut up a plastic grocery bag into 4-5" squares. When he went to take a shower, we'd take regular bandage tape and tape a square loosely over the Dexcom and pod. After the shower, we'd peel it off and he'd be fine. Our other option was to let him wander around until the sweat dried...and that was not our preference ;) So, if it's just an occassional thing, it's a quick and cheap fix.

10. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

We use Skintac then use Tegaderm (4x4) with a window cut out for the Dex transmitter.

11. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

Skintac and Hypafix used here. We usually get 2 weeks on a sensor with no problem. We had peeling issues before investing in the lifetime supply of skintac and hypafix. If DD is going swimming for long periods we will use a large waterproof tagaderm bandage and maybe some Nexcare waterproof tape just to be sure the sensor stays put.

12. swellman

swellman Approved members

Yea, sorry ... we don't do anything but alcohol prep and it stays on for two weeks.

13. Anne

Anne Approved members

Thanks for the speedy responses everyone! Much appreciated.

Able to pick up hypafix and tegaderm locally. (Ordering opsite flexifix on Amazon as much cheaper there.)
    Swam in pool with hypafix and holding!

BTW Dexcom said they replace sensors if they fall off before the 7 days is up, but who wants to do another insertion if you can avoid it.

Anyone's insurance pay for any of the supplies to hold/keep the sensor on?

Thanks again...you all are wonderful,
    Anne

14. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Ours does if I order through one of their Durable Medical Providers. It took me hours to call through their list to find someone who carries Hypafix, but Byram Medical does. The first time they sent me Hy-tape by accident, but it's been clear sailing ever since. They take care of getting the prescription from the endo & everything. I get a 4" and a 2" roll when I order.

15. Adrian

Adrian Approved members

I use kinesiology tape. It comes in very pretty colors. You can even mix.
    I tape 3 little strips of about 5cmx2cm covering just a bit of the plastic of the sensor (but not the transmitter). 5cmx5m (about 2inches 16.4 feet) cost about 10 to 12 USD at amazon.

16. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Our insurance would probably cover tape, but I buy a role of Opsite from Amazon for like $25.00 that lasts about a year. It's not worth the hassle of getting a prescription and running it through insurance at that price.

17. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

how hard is it to remove? will an adhesive remover be able to soak thru the tape for easier removal?

18. Adrian

Adrian Approved members

I don't need adhesive remover. Isopropyl alcohol (the same skin desinfection spray I use before putting in the catheter of my insulin pump or the dexcom sensor) works fine.
    But I think the tapes may vary from brand to brand. I use a German brand that seems to be just on the market in central europe (even though single words like "cotton spandex" are printed in english.). Well, if you have anything better to remove adhesive than isopropyl alcohol, I'm pretty confident it will work for US brands too.