- advertisement -

Advice for possible type 1

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by foxa71, Jun 7, 2010.

1. foxa71

foxa71 Approved members

My daughter started experiencing stomach pain every time she ate when she was about 3. By the time she was 5, she was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes.

Now, my friend's daughter (age 3) is starting to go through the same thing. She complains of pain in her stomach every time they sit down to eat. I'm not sure what advice to give her and don't want to send her into a panic. Any ideas on how I can help the mom help her daughter? Should she maybe get a meter and test her daughter's sugar after a meal or go to the doctor with her concerns?

I blew off my daughter's pain for a long time and feel guilty that I didn't act on it more quickly, but that doesn't mean the other girl is going through the same thing. The thing that worries me though is, what if she is. What could they do that I didn't?

2. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

Gosh, I don't know. My 7 year old has pain after he eats his whole life. He is not D but it did turn out that he was missing a TON of enzymes needed to digest his food.

Is she showing any other D symptoms?

3. foxa71

foxa71 Approved members

she's starting to fall asleep after some meals. That's all I am aware of so far.

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Those symptoms could be a million things. I understand why you are zeroing on diabetes, but what this person should do is have their child seen by a qualified medical professional who knows their complete medical history and can evaluate the possible causes for the symptoms.

(Welcome back, btw) ;)

5. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

I agree those symptoms are very vague and could just be a virus or many other things. I'd just ask if she'd taken her to the pedi.

6. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

I completely agree, remember we are "experts" in one disease state, but with symptoms like that, she needs someone who can see the entire picture

7. wilf

wilf Approved members

This is sound advice.

Stomach pain after eating is NOT a common symptom of developing diabetes..

8. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

I addition to the fact that stomach pains could be caused by many illnesses or diseases, I have also known 3 and 4 yos who seem to have stomach pains or stomach aches that are most likely just made up. Saying my stomach hurts gets attention......it may start by actual stomach pain or it may be funny feelings in the tummy from hunger or gas or other things the 3 yo is just noticing. But with some kids, they continue with these complaints even when there is nothing wrong.

I'm not saying your child was or this child or is making it up or lying but they don't always understand what they are feeling. I had a child care child who often complained of stomach aches and head aches....these turned into 'migranes' and 'back aches' (both problems mom had) and eventually claiming she had 'diabetes' (shortly after Alex was dx). She wasn't trying to lie and she doesn't have some mental illness....she was just being a kid, repeating things she heard in her life and if she got a reaction, she used the complaint at other times too.

If the mom seems concerned suggest that she talk to the pediatrician and maybe get a referall to a gastronentologist (spell?).

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I think calling this a,"possible Type 1" is a bit presumptive. Just because your type 1 child had stomach pain prior to dx there is really no reason to infer that this child is any more likely, than any random child, of being dx'd with type 1.

I would advise the parent to take the child to the ped and not suggest that it could be type 1 unless she complains of the tell-tale symptoms we all know so well.

As my mom would have said - don't go borrowing trouble.:cwds: