- advertisement -

Advice for parents sending children off to college for the first time

Discussion in 'Parents of College Kids and Young Adults with Type' started by Ellen, May 3, 2010.

1. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

In preparation for sending your emerging adult off to college with the confidence and competence to take care of the diabetes and have a wonderful and successful time in school, I thought it would be helpful for the seasoned parents to offer to answer questions and/or provide advice for those of you who are about to "let go" for the first time.

Here's a link to something I posted about a year ago...certainly not comprehensive by any means Re: Son to college

Questions?

Advice from those who have been through it?

2. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Here are some thoughts that came to mind:

If your cell phone number is printed on your college-aged child's medical i.d., make sure you keep your cell phone with you. It's not much good as a contact number if when someone is trying to reach you, you are unreachable. Keep your cell phone by your bed at night. You may find this comes naturally. ;)

Including unlimited texting on our phone plan made it easy for frequent communication back and forth. Sometimes live phone calls just aren't convenient and won't happen as frequently as we?d like, but texting fits in nicely.

When making that periodic phone call, ask how things are going perhaps without first asking how his/her blood sugar is. It very well could be the first thing on our minds, but there's more to life than BG.

Where will your son/daughter go for regular sick appointments like a sinus infection? If a family physician is needed and not using the on campus health clinic, set up ahead of time as a patient at a practice that is in-network. We had a practice in mind, but when it came time for a sick visit - we found out the practice wasn't accepting new patients.

3. NicksMother

NicksMother Approved members

Thank you for this thread. My ds still has one more year of high school but it is never too early to start planning. His ped endo is willing to continue to see him through his college years so we don't need to look for an adult endo. As of now, the plan is to go to twice a year visits....once during the summer and once during the winter semester break.

4. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

When Alex decided on a college (across the country) we tried to find an adult endo near the college but couldn't find one that dealt with T1 closer than 45 min away. So we found a great one here and he goes to see him 3x a year. 2x in the summer (May and Aug) and once in the Winter. It's not perfect but it works. I think even if he had one closer to school, the timing of visits would have been tough since you have to make appts so far ahead of time and he might not have his course schedule at the time.