- advertisement -

Advice for 3 day backpack pre-orientation trip

Discussion in 'Parents of College Kids and Young Adults with Type' started by obtainedmist, Jul 12, 2011.

1. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

I'll be dropping off Molly across the country to do a 3 day backpack even before college orientation starts. Her 2 trip leaders will know about the Type 1 and I'm instructing Molly to give the glucagon and gel to them to carry (in addition to the extra test kit,test strips,infusion sets, insulin, and Lantus in case the pump breaks or her backpack floats away). She'll be hiking around 3-4 hours a day and will have to experiment with lowering her basal and dosing as well. I know she'll test often, I just worry about a low getting away from her too quickly! She works out hard for 1-1/2 hours at a time...but never for 3-4 hours. I'd love to know any tricks or ideas that I can pass on to her. I know there isn't a formula for this type of thing...but would just like to hear what has worked for you or your teen. Thanks!!:)

2. skimom

skimom Approved members

When my kids are hiking etc they nibble on fruit leathers, etc. Also, be prepared to lower basals etc especially at night . I would suggest she run a little higher ( like 10 - sorry don't know the conversion)too if you are at all worried- three days is not that much to run a bit higher if it means peace of mind.Keep a snack with her at night ( eg granola bar )and be sure she gets a good balance of fat , carbs and protein and the most important thing is to stay well hydrated ( my kids have found that when super active, this is the key ingredient in keeping BG in check)
    Do lows tend to take off on her when she is in her regular routine?If not, then i imagine she will be ok. She is 18 and I assume off to college so this will be a great exercise in managing D. My kids have done lots of back country trips etc and have done fine with the above ideas.

3. obtainedmist

Thanks so much for the good ideas! I did tell her that if they require no food in the tents (bears??) she'll just have to keep some smarties tucked away. I can just imagine her trying to get the food down from 12 feet in a tree while low!;)

4. maryellen816

maryellen816 Approved members

My daughter recently took a 3 credit hour college course crammed into 8 days including community service and several active team building activities. I did not send enough snacks with her.

Even though she was staying in a dorm and was provided 3 meals a day, she had several lows and ended up running out of snacks. The pace of the course was so intense that she missed some meals and instead ate the snacks in her room in order to finish papers.

So I guess I would be sure to send plenty of snacks - more than you think she might need. The fruit leather idea is great because it is so portable for hiking.

The hiking trip sounds like a blast. I am sure it will turn out great.

5. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'd send several packs of glucose tabs. In my experience they're less likely to be eaten as a meal replacement snack or a "just a bit hungry" snack, and hang around longer for when they are really necessary. They're also pretty carb dense (they don't take up too much room).

6. obtainedmist

Thanks Emma and Maryellen,
    I was thinking peanut butter crackers as well maybe before bed. Molly is so sick of smarties at this point...she won't touch them unless she's low;)! Fruit Leathers or raisins sound good as well. It will also be interesting to see if altitude has any effect on things. Coming from high altitude to sea level will be a huge switch for her (but I'm sure she'll feel like superwoman the first few days!!:)) I wonder what that might do to bgs?

7. Ali

Ali Approved members

All the ideas mentioned are great. If you think her Endo is any good I would really ask for his/her advice re lowering basal, bolus and correction amounts based on what you know about her response to ex. Hiking for me plummets the BS and that over four hours a day plus setting up camp etc for many of us wold dramatically reduce insulin needs. Good luck. The bear issue is tricky. Maybe some type of special container in her tent with tabs in it-i.e. smell proof. Bet she will have a blast. Ali