- advertisement -

Adverse Reaction to a medication

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by KeltonsMom, Apr 22, 2008.

1. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

I went to my new Primary Care doctor for a follow-up to see if my sinus infection has cleared up..It hasn't and I now have some rattling in my lungs, so I was given more antibiotic and an antihistamine that is related to Sudafed. I have taken Sudafed in the past and never had a problem with it, but that was before I had D.

Today I have been having audio and visual hallucinations and most of the day I felt like I was going low, but I was not low..Right now I feel as if my feet are 5 feet long and I keep tripping..Tomorrow I will call my doctor to tell him, but I will not take the second dose tonight..

Has anyone ever had a reaction to a medication like this before or am I just weird?

2. Ali

Ali Approved members

No. Sounds like a terrible drug reaction. Probably not due to diabetes but to the specific drugs you are on. Frankly, I would call the ER or Dr. right away and check on this. Ali

3. KeltonsMom

I will do this now..Thank you for your input.

4. ccarrol4

ccarrol4 Approved members

I agree that you should call your doctor right away. keep us updated and hope you get tofeeling better.

5. KeltonsMom

I found out that is was user error on my part..Now if the pharmacist had told me to not take the Claritin and the antihistimine at the same time this would not have happened:rolleyes:

I am feeling better and I now know that I have to wait at least 8 hours before I can take the Claritin if I have taken the Sudafed thing..

So until I get all cleared up I will not take the Claritin until I finish taking the antihistimine..

6. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

Glad you got it straitened out , Teddi.

I had a bad reaction to Loratabs when I had a tooth removed last year, that was not fun at all,LOL It was just to large a dose for me.

7. KeltonsMom

double post

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  8. KeltonsMom

This is pretty much similar to what was wrong with me..I took the med's back to the pharmacy and they gave me a smaller dose..Oh and of course I am not taking it and the Claritin at the same time either..But the smaller dose is working well..

I had a very freaky experience yesterday and last night and it is one I do not wish to repeat..I am sure no one would like to see the dog's food dish turn colors and start to talk to them :eek: I went to bed right away after that:rolleyes:
    But before I went to bed I tested to see if I was low..I wasn't

9. KhaosFaerie

KhaosFaerie Approved members

I can not take anything related to Sudafed or anything like Tylenol Cold and Sinus because I have hallucinations and its like I am drunk. I get so out of it and it doesn't help me at all. All this started happening after I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. I was fine taking it before. I have get an antibiotic from the doctor for sinus infections unless I can find a certain type of Alka Seltzer that helps with colds and sinuses. Another thing that works wonders is Airbourne (orange is best). I never thought it would work but it helped. Some say it doesn't work but it does help some people. Zicam doesn't work as well but can help a little especially if taken with Airbourne.

Cherise