- advertisement -

Adults knowing what BS is

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by jbmom1b2g, Jul 29, 2012.

1. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

Adults knowing what BG is

I know this will sound like a crazy question but my sister asked me this the other day. She asked me when will Taylor know what her bg is without even testing. Does that really happen? I hope Taylor will always test, but I never see my BIL test his sugars and my brothers friend told my sister she just knows what # she is at so I guess she doesnt feel the need to test.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Some adults are pretty sensitive to both highs and lows and know that they are high or low. I think people who are sensitive sometimes overestimate their accuracy on the highs- especially with knowing HOW high they arre even when they know that they are high.
    Adults who can reliably feel even that they are low and high, nevermind how low and high, are a small minority of type 1 adults, but I have met two people who told me that they always can feel when they are low and always feel highs. A lot more adults always feel lows, and/or sometimes feel highs.

Personally, I can't even reliably feel my lows.
    In the morning when I wake up, I usually know whether or not I'm high without checking, but I don't know how high, and I really only can feel that I'm high if I've been high for at least a couple of hours. And I'm not totally accurate.

I think people who weren't told to test, or not to test more than maybe 2x per day (because of a dx pre-1990ish), tend to have gotten in the habit of thinking they know their bg when they don't.

3. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

Though I have no data to back up my statement, I would suspect that "knowing one's BG w/o testing" and being relatively accurate is rare. How would he know if he does not check? I also know that meters or CGMs are not perfect, but in this case, they are a lot better than "gut feeling." I think that many people know when they are high or low, but not necessarily in range so dosing errors are possible. :rolleyes:

Does your BIL have type 1 or type 2? For how long? How are his A1cs? Any complications? Not sure you even know the answers, not do I expect you to ask. In my opinion, it is always better to "check, not guess."

4. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

BTW, most people will refer to their BG (blood glucose) not BS (blood sugar). That said, perhaps BS (not the blood sugar type) is what you meant because that is what not checking is, in my opinion. Hope you are not offended by this.

5. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

My bil is type 1 and he has been diabetic since he was 12 so about 20 yrs now. I honestly dont know how often he checks I just never see him. Not sure what his a1c is but I also know he does have lots of lows. My question came cause of a comment my brothers friend made.

6. mocha

mocha Approved members

I've been T1 for 10 years and that has yet to happen to me consistently.

There are times when I can tell that I'm high or low, but not by how much.

There are times when I feel low, but I'm high.

There are times when I feel high, but I'm low.

There are times when I feel "normal", but I'm completely out of range.

There are times that I feel like crap, but I'm "normal".

The only way to know for sure is to test (and sometimes test again).

7. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I do think it's reasonable for an adult to need less testing than our highly variable teens/preteen/children. I also think he's probably pretty good at testing and can do it discreetly.

I will say that my son is pretty darn good at knowing when he's in range and when he's not. He can't tell a number, but he can predict with reasonable accuracy that he's high and needs correction, he's low and needs to eat, or he's in range so leave me alone. ;) He certainly can't throw out a number, but he's pretty good at testing for those times he's high or low and when he's in range, he'll test when I ask but it's usually unnecessary.

I think that many adults who have lived with this for decades do develop a good instinct about it, and those adults I have known tend to eat a very predictable diet (as opposed to our teens/kids!) so things tend to be more level.

I also think many adults run higher than they should and that's never a good thing, so please understand I am not advocating not testing and hope my son keeps his good habit of testing throughout the day for the rest of his life.

8. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

I can guess fairly accurately whether I am high, low, or in relatively in range (70-170). I'm probably correct 70-80 percent of the time.

I also eat the same foods repeatedly - more because I'm a picky eater than because I have diabetes. Nevertheless, I think it helps to keep me stable.

9. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Perfectly said!

10. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I can usually tell when I'm well out of range (usually high), but not by how much.. however I wouldn't consider it reliable.

Test, don't guess :)

11. Ronin1966

Ronin1966 Approved members

Hello jbmom1b2g

Most of us can tell whether we are "ok" and may have a sense if we are crashing or rising but beyond the very, very general "think I'm... (insert one of those three)" there is not a prayer someone can tell....

The gist or research is pretty clear... perception, belief I am a particular X number does not make it so. Testing confirms belief, [perception... its a security blanket, but can be done without, if needed.

12. sweetalyssa

sweetalyssa New Member

I usually have a pretty good idea when I'm in range, although there are times when I'll test and have a WTF moment. It's interesting to me that your BIL and the person who spoke with your sister supposedly don't test, because how can they possibly dose insulin properly if they don't know what their BG is? I mean, +/- 10mg/dL can make a huge difference one way or another when you're aiming for tight control, and especially if you're on pump therapy. To each his/her own, I suppose. :)

13. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I don't think people can know their bg number without testing. I think some people can tell if they are high/low based on how they feel, but I think it is irresponsible not to check to confirm. I hope that your daughter does not use your BIL and his friend as examples of good diabetes management, because they are not.

14. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I generally know when I'm high in the 250 to 350 range, but I've had way to many highs over 400 where I felt totally fine until I tested.

Ditto with lows. I go through periods where I feel low as soon as I hit the 60s, but at other times I feel nothing until I'm in the 20s. I've even been "LO" when I felt fine.

I know people who say they know when they're in or out of range with total accuracy, but I frankly don't really believe them. ;) If you don't test, how do you know how accurate you are?

I think the people who are most likely to be accurate at telling whether they are out of range are the (usually low-carbers) who usually maintain BGs in the 80-140 range and test very frequently. I think I go sub-70 and over 200 too often for alarm bells to start ringing every time it happens.

15. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

There's this feeling I get sometimes that's like a dawning of realization that I'm low, and 90% of the time, I either am low, or below 100. I used to think I was pretty good at feeling my numbers until I started Dexing. Case in point: last weekend, we went and ate at IHOP, and afterwards I felt ridiculously high. I had just restarted my sensor, so I checked, and I was actually 110 mg/dL, and never ending up cracking 200. Turns out, after some investigating, pancakes in general make me feel high, without actually making me high. Sometimes we can feel "low" or "high" based on something else, making our bodies inaccurate blood sugar detectors.

16. blufickle

blufickle Approved members

I can generally tell when I'me low. However last week I was feeling fine but it was time for my bedtime check. I went to check and my reading was 15 :eek: I rechecked and it came back LO. Needless to say I was shocked. I couldn't believe it.

But I always check when I think I'me low or high. I figure it's always best to see just where I am.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  17. sunflowr72

sunflowr72 Approved members

Well said! I know I can usually tell you what my BG is, and I can usually throw out a number with it. But other times I'm just confused. I've had T1 for over 30 years, and I still test 10-15 times a day. It's just better control, and well worth knowing so I can correct anything that needs it. I have callouses on my fingers, too, but it's not the end of the world. It's just a side-effect of having diabetes.

18. solobaricsrock

solobaricsrock Approved members

For me a high can feel like a low and vice versa. I use my CGM to keep track of where I'm at and still test up to 8-10 times a day. It sounds like overkill but if I don't I wind up having to explain why to my endocrinologist why my BG is all over the place. He keeps me accountable which is a blessing in disguise lol.