- advertisement -

Adhesive remover

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by suz, Nov 2, 2010.

1. suz

suz Approved members

We're having real problems getting the old adhesive off of Kieran's skin from his Dexcom and pump sites.

Is there anything we can use to make this easier? We've tried alcohol wipes, but it's just not getting it all off and is making him sore.

It's a little easier now swimming season is over and we don't need Skintac for extra adhesion, but his poor little body is covered in black sticky cirles!

TIA

ETA: I guess I should have read further down the list, just realized another similar topic has already been posted this evening. Sorry for the duplication!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  2. ashley_lynden

ashley_lynden Approved members

Sloan is covered with those from his infusion sites. I just kind of let them wear off. (They're on his belly and hips, so they don't show.) He won't let me work on them with a wash rag, alchol wipe, etc. I need to get some tac-away wipes (or even just a bottle of disolve it from Wal-Mart) but I always forget until I'm changing his site out.

3. angiej

angiej Approved members

There are several products available in the UK, so I am sure similar ones will be available in the US. We have 3 easily available products - appeel, zoff and lift off (each available as wipes or as a spray). They are sold as medical adhesive removers - many are designed for stoma care, so you may find it helpful to research products designed for that. Often they contain skin moisturisers so are better than using general adhesive remover.

4. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

We use Uni-Solve wipes. They are kind of stinky but they get the job done nice and quick!

5. shekov

shekov Approved members

We use De-Solv-It. They used to carry it at our walmart but now I order a GIANT spray bottle online and transfer a small amount to a leak proof bottle in dd's kit.

It works great. I pour some on the site, let it sit while I put in the new site, then remove the old site since by then it's nice and gooey. I always follw up with a good wipe down with alcohol swab.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We really like this stuff. Works like a charm, smells good and made for medical use.

http://www.orange-sol.com/medical/index.html

I can buy it at our local medical supply/pharmacy, but a chain pharmacy would probably order it for you. A spray bottle lasts forever. :cwds:

7. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

we've used baby oil to get adhesive stuff off. It's cheap and smells good too :D

8. kyles_mom

kyles_mom Approved members

We have always used unisolve. For us it's a covered item, and comes from Minimed with his other pump supplies. It works great.

9. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Yep, baby oil works like a charm. And you don't have to wash it off, just wipe with a tissue. :)

10. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

We've tried everything and De-Solve-It is our favorite. We got it at Tru-Value Hardware store.

11. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Same here, except none of our local stores carry it. We order it from Amazon. :)

12. GinaB

GinaB Approved members

I apply baby oil and let it set for a bit then use an alcohol wipe to get everything off.

13. joshuasgranny

joshuasgranny Approved members

Yep, our Endo suggested baby oil and it works like a charm! We dampen a cotton ball with it, then dab it around the adhesive patch on the old site and the old site comes off pretty easy. We then rub baby oil around the area of the old site and it removes the black gummy stuff left behind.

We buy baby oil at the Dollar Store for $1.00. As others have said, it's cheap, works great, and leaves behind that wonderful "baby" smell!

Susan

14. KHM

KHM Approved members

My only gripe with Uni-Solve is that it destroys my nail polish... it even penetrates through latex gloves so I guess I'll have to give up polish or start buying those blue nitrile gloves that are impervious to solvents... :rolleyes: