- advertisement -

ADhesive allergy

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mom2Hanna, May 29, 2012.

1. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

Being lazy and rather then search other threads just going to ask. Hanna is very sensitive to adhesive, can't use band aids, but is fine with her pump sites. She's starting the cgm at the end of June so what tape should I have on hand for her?

2. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We like Opsite Flexifit (may be spelled wrong)

3. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

My daughter used Flexfix for about two years before she started reacting to it. We've been using tegaderm (sp?) for almost 5 years now with no problems. My DD also can't use most bandaids.

4. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

We use skin-tac adhesive and cover with tagaderm over the CGM. My child is allergic to latex ie most band aids. But we have no issue with skin tac.

5. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

Hypafix is great. My son has adhesive allergies and very sensitive skin, and his dermatologist suggested hypafix. It sticks great, breathes, and so far no skin reactions.

6. Gomod71

Gomod71 Approved members

Ask Medtronic to send you some samples.

We have tape sensitivities and still haven't found the magic one. We've used Opsite Flexifit, Hypafix, Tegaderm, IV3000 in the past.

We use Hypafix the most, as it allows the skin to breathe but needs to be replaced every couple days with heavy water use (shower, swimming). I prefer Opsite Flexifit in the summer - though we don't use the CGMS in the summer as much due to so much swim time.

7. Ali

Ali Approved members

Try looking at the post above by Denise and summer tips. She has a link to a site for arm bands that she uses. :)ali

8. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

Been using cavalon skin barrier wipes for 3 years now and no issues.

9. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

One thing I'd like to recommend is to prepare the site with soap and water rather than alcohol wipes... the alcohol dries skin out and can easily exacerbate skin allergies, sensitivities, dermatographia, etc.
    Another thing I do is after washing my site, I spray with Benadryl spray (has to be the spray kind, not lotion, gel, etc.) and let that dry... after it dries, proceed with site as usual, but be warned, it dries COMPLETELY clear and thus can be easy to lose your prepared site while the spray is drying... This spray also will not affect the adhesive, and for me anyway, it actually seemed to help the site stay on better (although I suppose it could also be sticking better because I'm not developing hives under the sites if I prep with soap and water, then the benadryl spray)...
    I have tried just about every tape, adhesive, barrier, prep, etc. so if anyone has questions about any of that, let me know... I've been through it all with allergy testing, skin allergy testing, etc.

10. Lenoremm

Lenoremm Approved members

Silesse spray helped us with skin issues. We don't use a cgm yet but we had a number of issues with the pump initially and this has helped. The wipes don't seem to work as well as the spray. Good luck.
    http://www.silesse.com/US/

11. RacerWife7

RacerWife7 Approved members

Thank you for this detailed post. My one question, in response, is this: how would you proceed if you had to use Emla cream first? My son has eczema and has had some awful reactions to just about everything we've tried (including Tegaderm, as some others suggested). He is PETRIFIED of the CGM inserter. So, we have to use Emla cream for 1-2 hours before we insert. Do you think we should do the Emla cream and then give him a bath (the 'wash with soap and water' part)? Do you think he'll still be numb in that spot? ...Right now, I can't stand this stupid CGM because his little butt looks like it's been through a war. :( ...He adamantly refuses to allow us to place it anywhere else, though. *sigh*

12. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

You can wipe the emla off with a paper towel and then rub on some foaming liquid soap and wipe that off with a wet paper towel.

13. Lenoremm

Lenoremm Approved members

My ds had a terrible time with emla cream. His skin basically burns from it and then seems to fester under the adhesive. If you know there are skin issues be careful the emla cream is not making them worse. We use ice (actually a bag of frozen peas) to numb the area before insertion and that works as well as the emla cream without the skin issues.

14. Daddyto4

Daddyto4 Approved members

In "Omnipod Issues Solved" someone said thye used duct tape and it worked. It also treats warts. (Nobody really knows why.)