- advertisement -

ACT testing and special accommodations

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Bigbluefrog, May 2, 2012.

1. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

I know I have seen this on here before, but I am unable to find it through search.

ACT testing

Do you get special accommodations for your student? No food is allowed. And the fact if she does go low she will need to eat and stop time.

I think she could test without it, but stress can cause lows for her.

What have your kids done for ACT or SAT testing?

2. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

Does she have a 504 plan?

3. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

SAT is done through the College Board and you can easily apply for accomodations. I got a letter from his MD stating his medical needs, sent that in with them and specified our requests in a letter of my own. I specifically asked that he be able to have his meter, CGM, pump, and glucose tablets and water at his desk and be able to test/treat at any time. I did not ask for extended time but his time does stop if he needs to treat for any length of time.

My son can test/treat at his desk and can have food with him. Once you get approval from the Collge Board you use that same SSD # for all tests they administer (SAT and PSAT mostly).

ACT is a different organization, and it was an easier process. I faxed them the information from the Dr. about his needs and they approved it verbally, I just took that letter on test day and it was no issue.

For SAT they gave him his own testing room, which was unnecessary but he loved it. For ACT he tested with the group but was able to have all his stuff with him.

All electronics must be put on silent/vibrate.

Both websites have a phone number for students with disabilities, I just called that number and they walked me through the process. I have personally found them to be extremely helpful, yesterday I was signing him up for his SAT and kept hitting a roadblock in entering his SSD #, it kept saying it didn't match with his high school...I called and they fixed it fairly easily/quickly.

We homeschool so I was on my own, if your child is in school the guidance counselor can help you.

We did his first year of testing with NO accomodations and it was a mistake. He was high the entire time and couldn't concentrate.

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

IMO it makes no sense to sit tests without access to BG meter and glucose. Whilst I personally am not comfortable with getting additional accomodations (regular breaks, etc.) because of D because I don't feel that I need them, I always ensure that I will be able to have my meter, pump and glucose.. that's just basic D care stuff. And if I didn't have them, I would constantly be worried that something was going to go wrong and I would screw up my test.

For the first time this year I will have the accomodation that I can take a timed break if my BG is low. This is because my exams are now 3 hours long, so it is far more likely that I will actually have a low than it was in my high school exams, which were usually 1-2 hours.

5. Timmy Mac

Timmy Mac Approved members

I didn't get any accommodations (mainly because i procrastinated :) )

But what I DID do was bring my meter and insulin in there and snuck in some gatorade. I took a few sips during the breaks after each section of the test. Worked like a charm :D

6. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Lots of posts on the ACT or SAT accommations.

I pursued accommodations for my son with the College Board (SAT and AP tests), but not the ACT test.

To be able to use the stop the clock accommodations to test and to eat as needed, your child would need to be tested in a room by himself. My son tried this and decided he didn't need it. In all the tests he has taken to get into college and for the AP tests, he has not needed to test his blood sugar while taking the test.

It ended up working fine for the ACT to not have any accommodations. He didn't need a snack during the test. In fact, he never has a morning snack, so the routine was the same.

7. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We set them up for my daughter last fall when she did the PSAT. She's a sophomore. The school counselor took care of all the paperwork I just had to sign something. They're good for all of high school once you do them.

She hasn't needed to use them but I think it's good she has them in case something does happen. Last year during finals she had an issue with her PDM malfunctioning and beeping like mad. Luckily they had finished the final in the class and I was able to run to school, call insult and fix it before the next class. I'm not so concerned about her BG during the tests as stuff that is beyond her control, like equipment malfunctions.

8. Illinifan

Illinifan Approved members

9. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

Thanks, I will have to look for that number under act student.org

Under disability, the site offers several options for testing, one is extended time and the other did not offer more time, but allowed medical devices and glucose ect.

I will research this.

Thanks for the links for the past info. I searched ACT testing accommodations and got zilch.

I haven't been successful in pulling up older posts here....so thank you to the guru's of this forum

10. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

11. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

I keep procrastinating on this as well and Kayla took the PSAT and the PACT and did horrible on them and I meant to get something in place before the AP exams and forgot and they are next week. Ugh. I will do something before next year.