advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accucheck Aviva and Freestyle Lite comparison

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by JenniferM, Jan 4, 2008.

1. JenniferM

JenniferM Approved members

Hello,

A few weeks back there was a discussion on how the different meters registered differently.

We did an experiment with my family. We took a blood sample and tested it with both the Aviva and the Freestyle lite.

These are the results:

FreeStyle Lite Accu-chek Aviva
    89 90
    96 96
    95 106 (We used two different blood pokes)
    102 101
    130 123

The only big difference we saw was when DH had two blood pokes and I took one measurement from one blood poke and another from the other. Otherwise they were pretty close :).

Jennifer:)

2. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

We have both those meters, too:D Our comparisons have been very similar to what you posted. Great idea to post them.

3. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

I had both, and the AccuCheck Aviva is far more accurate as far as I'm concerned. There were way too many suspicious readings with the Freestyle Lite, and the strips seem flimsy.

4. JenniferM

JenniferM Approved members

Another reading

Freestyle lite 295

Aviva 301

Yes... it is one of those days!:cool:

5. rtread

rtread Approved members

I have been comparing the contour with the aviva. i have been back and fourth on which meter i want to go with. I have 2 contours and one reads lower the other

Contour 1 147
    Contour 2 175

Aviva 169

i like how the contour has no coding, but i like the size of the aviva strips.

Rania

6. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

YEA! Because we love our Lite:D

7. mmc51264

mmc51264 Approved members

We changed to the Aviva because we had 2 Freestyles and a Freestyle Light that were giving innaccurate readings. How do we know? Zach's A1C went UP to 11.5 and then we went to the Aviva and it went back down 9.3 in 3 months. We keep the Freestyles for emergencies and I like having the light on it, but we are definitely Aviva users now.

8. twodoor2

I had to replace one Freestyle Lite because the readings were super inaccurate (we're talking like 100 points inaccurate!!). The company replaced it for us, and we still got really inaccurate readings (50+ points inaccurate) with the new one, even though they were not as common as with the first one. I just don't trust it. I like that it has a light, no coding, and it's small, but I don't care for the design of the test strips, and the accuracy left much to be desired.

How do I know the Aviva is accurate, she rarely gets hypoglycemia, and most of the time she gets back into range. I've also tested it on myself and retested several times on her. If I get a suspicious reading, I make her wash her hands, and the reading still doesn't deviate that much (5 to 10 points). With the Freestyle, every time I got a suspicious reading, I would retest, and it would be totally different, even after washing hands. Elizabeth's nanny would also notice this when she would test her. I also don't like that it says "hi" when it's over 400. The Aviva doesn't do this. If she's high, I want to know how high.

9. twodoor2

That's quite telling.

10. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

Isnt there a way to have the endo do a blood draw and compare the meters to what her bg really is?

I mean if I use 5 testers and they range from 100-200... how do I know which one is really right?

11. thebestnest5

That's well over 100 points difference in A1C's; so that would be the meters were running him a over hundred points lower than he truly was on average?:confused: That almost doesn't seem possible. yikes!!

12. thebestnest5

We did that with Liv's meter (Freestyle Flash) and it was within 1 point of the bood draw.

Another thing for us, is that Liv's A1C and meter average have always matched.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  13. thebestnest5

That concerned me; I had to re-read the manual. A high shows up over 500 mg/dl for the Freestyle (Lite & Flash).

It sounds like the Aviva is much better for you. The Aviva strips are great; I like the way the blood is introduced like the One Touch. They are wider; and easier to grab. Too bad we can't build our own meters. ;)

One thing that I read about improving accuracy was to hold the strip in the blood for a few seconds past the beep. It really does help. I read this in a book written by an Endo who has Type 1.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  14. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

We use and love the Freestyle Lite. Brought it to the endo and had all 3 meters (theirs, Glucophone and the Lite) read within 3 points of eachother. Haven't had a problem with it. I do love the size of the Aviva strips tho.

15. mmc51264

mmc51264 Approved members

I know!!!! We were flabbergasted and truly depressed. We thought we were doing so well. We sent the meters back and they sent us new ones, but we don't trust them. We were also getting some ridiculous lows (32, 38). Zach would have been in a coma if he was a low as some of them said. We even had a 22 once. That is another reason we have back up meters.

16. twodoor2

Sounds like a good tip. :) Thanks. My tip is to never touch the part of the strip where the blood goes, and to make sure your hands, as well as your child's, are very dry.