- advertisement -

About to try our first pump, OmniPod. Do kids like it?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by reaganrocks, Jan 25, 2013.

1. reaganrocks

reaganrocks Approved members

Hi, my daughter Reagan was dx 9/28/11 at age 5 and has been on shots since that time. We are about to begin the saline trial for the OmniPod on Monday. We thought the Pod will be a good start since it is tubeless and she is very active in gymnastics. How do your kids like it...pros/cons? Thanks!! Tammy

2. sooz

sooz Approved members

My granddaughter likes it. The new smaller pods will be coming out soon which will be especially nice for little ones like your's. We like how the PDM (the remote) acts as the meter and how intuitive it is to use. It is so nice to be able to use remotely. People who don't know what it is would assume it is a phone. It allows you to bolus for food whenever she wants to eat something, and do corrections easily as needed. The basal rate is adjustable depending on her needs throughout the day and night. It will block bolus delivery if she is too low. You can let her decorate it with stickers or pod covers. Insertions are automatic.

The cons are that when the cannula pops in during the insertion it makes a somewhat loud clicking noise and can be momentarily painful. Sometimes the pod gets loose and comes off if it is bumped at the right angle. Sometimes pods fail for unknown reasons and have to be replaced early.

For gymnastics, you might want to secure the pod by putting some tape over it. When my granddaughter was smaller, we would cut the cuffs off of cute socks and use them to support and protect the pod when it was on her arm.

3. reaganrocks

Thanks so much Susan. The new smaller pod should be out soon. I talked to our local rep today and she said they may ship in March. I like the idea that kids can decorate the pod. We also thought about wrapping the pod for gymnastics. Thank you again for your help.

4. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

We were on MDI for the first six months and my son saline tested a tubed pump and tubeless. He decided to go with the tubeless OmniPod. We've been at it a month and he really likes it. It is a tough adjustment though. Right when we had developed some sort of comfort with MDI, in some respects switching to the pump felt like starting over. I appreciate the ability to customize bolus and basal rates, but part of me misses the simple days of MDI. It would be tough to get my son to switch back though. He's sold and we're getting more comfortable week after week ... I think.

5. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

My DD was dx'd at age 5 and we started using the Omnipod just before she turned 6.

She loves it and would not switch to tubed pump, though I suppose that could change one day.

6. Traci

Traci Approved members

My son has been on Omnipod for a couple years and loves it. We both love that it is tubeless...that's by far the best feature of it to us! Good luck!

7. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

My DS is wearing the demo kit Omnipod right now :) I'm hoping it works for us. If he likes it, I'm hoping it might convince DD to give pumps another try and maybe get her on them, too. *fingers crossed* Good luck on the trial - hope she loves it!

8. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Hi, I am quite a bit older then your daughter but I have used the omnipod on and off for awhile now. I also was active in gymnastics for a long time as well. I would suggest you try some vet-wrap over the omnipod to avoid it getting knocked around, if you are placing in on the arms or legs, during gymnastics.

Here is a link that shows all the colors, however your best bet is to search Vet-wrap and the color your daughter wants in amazon and choose whichever one is actually shipped by amazon because it will arrive much faster.

http://www.amazon.com/Gifted-Horse-Vet-Wrap/dp/B0002V47L0/ref=pd_sbs_indust_5

Good Luck:D

9. Jen_in_NH

Jen_in_NH Approved members

My son has used Omnipod for 3.5 years now, and we love it. We've had very few come off from getting bumped, and he's a pretty active kid. We love the whole system, and really have no complaints.

10. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

We are almost 7 months into our Omnipod journey and DD is very happy with it. Granted she has nothing to compare it to, but she is happy and never has any complaints. She got hers about a month after her 6th birthday. We've lost 3 pods due to them getting knocked off from her being super rambunctious, but I don't think that's too bad. We've only lost 2 pods due to pod error and Omnipod has replaced both of them at no charge.

So far we've been very satisfied and DD's numbers have been good, especially compared to before we were pumping, even as her honeymoon has ended and her numbers have gotten a bit more wonky and prone to being high.

11. reaganrocks

Thank you all for your help with this. We are looking forward to trying the pod. We also got some vet tape to put over the pod during gymnastics...very helpful suggestion.

12. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

We used the OmniPod for 4 years and loved it. We just switched the Animas Ping and LOVE that one just as much! Good luck!