- advertisement -

ABC News story on diabetes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Brynn, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Brynn

Brynn Approved members

2. lisanc

lisanc Approved members

Arrrgh!! :mad: Saw it also ... A friend called to tell me to watch it ... if they are such great reporters, why can't they take time to clarify type 2 vs. type 1 diabetes???

3. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Ditto. A lot of people say, oh, my so-and-so has diabetes. Most of the time it's type 2...people don't really get that there's a HUGE difference between the two types. Not that I really expect them to, but for a news organization to make a claim like, "it can be prevented" they really should clarify which kind they're talking about. With all the coverage diabetes has been getting lately, you'd think I wouldn't get asked "will he ever grow out of it?" I got that question again yesterday. *sigh* someday, maybe...

4. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

rather than debating with idiots in the comments section you can hit contact us under "about" scroll down bottom right, then comments about suggestions about abcnews.com

5. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

That story didn't even bother to mention cures like Noni Juice,cinnamon,and gastric bypass! Talk about bad reporting! :rolleyes:

6. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

you forgot about the raw food and the paleo/caveman diet!

7. MamaBear

Ooops my bad! You have to forgive me. Diabetes and all these miracle cures are new to my little family. :eek: I'm sure the paleo/caveman diet would be the best bet! I mean they (cavemen) had such a long life span and all.:rolleyes:

8. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Yes, wish they mentioned the difference in Type 1 and Type 1. It should be worth mentioning as well that Type 1 Diabetes is also on the rise. Even in countries like Japan, where Type 1 is less prevalent, the number of newly diagnosed each year continues to rise. :(

9. Gwyn

Gwyn Approved members

10. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Well, people aren't born with type 1 either.. but at least they managed to make some sort of distinction!:cwds:

11. Gwyn

Gwyn Approved members

Sorry, I was being sarcastic. The CNN article differentiates the two types, but incorrectly.

12. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

Obviously I agree that they needed to explain the different type of diabetes. However, I must admit that I was appalled by some of the comments towards those with Type 2.

This one in particular really bothered me.

I can assure you my 82 year old Grandfather is not standing around a Buffet eating all day.

I don't mind educating, but not by putting others down.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  13. Brynn

Brynn Approved members

I agree 100%, there is no need to insult type 2 diabetics, one of my best friends is type 2 and is tiny, tiny. It just happens to run in her family.

I just wish that there was some kind of clarification made between the two types. :rolleyes:

14. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

The more diabetes stories and I see the more I think this is our nation's latest scapegoat. Everybody gets to sit around feeling superior to the people with diabetes who "can't push away from the buffet table". And the ones who do have diabetes can't hold their heads up because the CDC and CNN and ABC are putting out stuff that makes it look like being sick is all their own fault.

Type 2 diabetes is a disease. It has an underlying genetic factor. It can be exacerbated by lifestyle, it can show sooner and progress quicker. But it is not caused by eating, or not exercising, or being fat. Even this story, if you read very, very carefully, admits to that. But all we hear about is how people need to stop being fat because it's going to cost the country a lot of money.

If people weren't willing to believe such oversimplified, blaming, inaccurate propaganda about Type 2 diabetes we wouldn't have to worry for our kids, because there wouldn't be confusion if people were educated but also because there wouldn't be a stigma with either diabetes, so we wouldn't have to worry if someone made a mistake and thought our kids had "the other" diabetes. It wouldn't matter so much, because there wouldn't be so much blame attached.

Bad story. Bad. Bad. :eek:

15. grantsmom

grantsmom Approved members

Saw it and immediately made me cringe! PLEASE PLEASE media report this as type 2 not just Diabetes!

And the list of complication has no disclaimer that with good care it might eliminate the chances of getting them. It would not want my child hearing about blindness, heart diseaae, amputations without the disclaimer that these are not givens.

Maybe some day...

16. joan

joan Approved members

The day Lindsay Lohan became the #1 news story on the news I lost all respect. I just can't listen to any story when it is all about dumbing down Americans. Type 1 diabetes is so often misrepresented. It has been that way for years and until someone in the news takes a stance to make the story right it will continue. I just don't think anyone cares or is smart enough to understand the differences in type 1 vs type 2. The news all about hype and getting viewers not about accuracy in reporting.

17. MamaBear

I have to agree on the Lindsay Lohan thing. News is just time filler anymore. Seems like little to no research on any topic is ever done. This is one of my friend's reactions to my talking about this story.

"ABC still does news?"

Not so much.