- advertisement -

Abbott is making me so flipping mad:mad:

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by Mike&Dans.Mom, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Mike&Dans.Mom

Mike&Dans.Mom Approved members

We had been strong supports of the Navigator until we just couldn't anymore.
    We have been through backordered transmitters. Bad sensors. Every darn broken type of receiver problem - but yet we kept telling people about it because it was so darn good when it was working.

We finally had to throw in the towel and accept the buyout for both boys. Danny has not had a cgms for over a month. I sent in the broken receiver and transmitter and sensors and have been waiting for weeks for my refund.

I can't wait any longer - he is starting school next week. The kids are going to be bussed all over due to their schools construction project being delayed by a strike. He is so hypo unaware, and he is not even going to be in his regular school!!

I called Abbott to find out how much longer the refund is going to take - I need to buy a new cgms system - and their answer is "did you get the return merchandise labels?" WHAT?? WHAT!!!!:mad: I have tracking numbers showing that my stuff was received 3 weeks ago and they are asking me if I even sent it! You've got to be kidding me.

I ask to talk to someone directly in the refund department - their answer is that they can't give me the phone number or email - they don't have it. But they'll send a message along. HOW???
    I am sooo angry.

I'm filing a complaint with the BBB, sending a letter to the local paper that does stories about little guys getting stomped on by big companies, and I've got a call in to my lawyer.

All I want to do is get my son a replacement cgms!!!! I haven't even sent Michael's back yet because I was afraid they would get confused getting 2 at a time from the same house. Apparently they can't get it straight with one!

2. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Glad I read this. I'm on hold now with them to tell them we officially want the refund.

3. BrendaK

The guy on the phone told me I should receive the refund 10-14 days after they receive the broken transmitter and receiver. I would be mad too if I were you, especially if FedEx says it was received 3 weeks ago!!

Keep us posted.

4. Mike&Dans.Mom

I am so tired of all of this. I was so patient with everything. It is so bogus that they had to lie about not having contact information for the refund department. What kind of idiots do they think their customers are?

Then they have the nerve to ask me their usual speal - "was there any injury blah, blah, blah due to this". I said yes! My son has severe hypoglycemic unawareness and if he has a seizure because he does not have a cgms it is their fault. His quality of life is affected everyday without a cgms. You can't give a kid a piece of life-changing medical equipment and then take it away and hold the refund hostage so he can't get a new one.

I sent them their broken unit - now send me my refund!!!!!

5. Diana

Diana Approved members

Didn't Carol (Selketine) track down who to call in the refund department? Someone did anyway...

6. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

I hope they clear this up soon. We used the Navigator for several months then quit because Chris couldn't stand to wear it. The adhesive didn't hold. The transmitter would fall off and it made him itch. Calling the company was anywhere from annoying to bizarre. The phone calls were heavily scripted and the reps either didn't know anything or weren't permitted to deviate from the script. We were so convinced the Navigator was "the Best" that we didn't want to try anything else.
    We went to the CWD "Focus on Technology" in Chicago and noticed that the nationally recognized CDEs giving presentations were themselves wearing the Dexcom. A thread here showing a head to head comparison convinced us to try the Dexcom. We have had a great experience.
    All of these products are a little wonky and I look forward to the next generation of products, but Abbott would have to produce a much better product AND reform their corporate culture before I would go back.

Chuck

7. Mike&Dans.Mom

I got the name of their Quality Customer Manager through the BBB and emailed him my plight. He returned my email tonight and said he would look into it and call me tomorrow......I hope he can light a fire under someone.... :cwds:

8. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

If you have the prescription from the doctor, Dexcom will overnight it to you if you are paying cash. They just did that for Kara.

9. BrendaK

We just ordered our yesterday through insurance, and Dexcom said it will be here Monday FedEx.

As of last week the FDA has changed it's rules and is cracking down on Dexcom because it's not approved for kids under age 18. Dexcom isn't allowed to even speak to pediatric patients (or their parents) until they have the letter of medical necessity from the dr. Then after they have that letter they can proceed as normal. Our endo was upset because Dexcom couldn't ask them to send in the A1C's for insurance purposes until they faxed the letter of medical necessity, so the endo had to pull out Carson's charts 2 separate times. So, the process is taking a little longer than normal now.....

10. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

I must say dexcom customer service has been phenomenal for us. I hope all of you switching over have a good experience. It's not a perfect product, like someone said, can't wait for the next generation, but overall it is a quality product and they really try to work with you when you are having problems . . .

11. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

If people are nearly as happy as I am with the Dex, they will be more than satisfied. It does the job, is easily fixed if it gets a little bit off with readings, is quieter, smaller and last but not least, you don't have to treat it with kid gloves, worried constantly about what is going to break next!

12. selketine

selketine Approved members

Oh yeah - that was me. The idiot Abbott people kept telling me that the refund are processed in their Alameda office and they are on the East coast and the only way they can communicate is by email. I was incredulous to say the least that someone couldn't pick up the phone.

I googled the phone number for the Alameda office and called them - told them I needed to talk to the person doing the Nav refunds and I left her a message. Lo and behold - she actually called me back and was very nice.

It annoys me that they are still handling this so poorly - I did complain to her about the process and how unbelievable it is that the one office has no way of contacting the other. Fortunately I also got a receipt at the Fed Ex office to proved I mailed it and they got it.

If you don't get a call back let me know and I'll see if I have her name I can PM you. I honestly think you'll get the refund - just they are slow.

13. lightnng

lightnng Approved members

Yeah, took almost three months for me to get mine finally. Just about to go through it again in a couple weeks - so I am expecting it by christmas :)

14. Mike&Dans.Mom

Well I got the Quality Managers top email address via the better business bureau website. Sent him my story and he emailed me right back.

A rep called me today and told me they located the return packages. She would contact the finance department and get back to me by Monday as to when I will have my check cut.

This is just so upsetting to us. We loved the Navigator and were really hoping to stick it out. I feel as if they are playing games with our refund.

On a sidenote. our endo has recommended the boys go with the guardian so that is where we are headed next.:cwds:

15. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Gee.. how convenient that they find your package after you complained to the top people.. figures..

they should have that refund out to you by monday!

We love the guardian.. many are very happy with it. :)

16. Mike&Dans.Mom

Well, well, well, It is now 4pm Chicago time. Not only has Abbott not called they have not returned my phone call to them:mad:

This is insane - I'm filing a complaint with the BBB now - I was going to wait but I'm done.