- advertisement -

Aaron is Pumping at 4 years old now!!!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by michelleissweet, Oct 29, 2008.

1. michelleissweet

michelleissweet Approved members

Hi Everyone!
    I have not visited in a while. Aaron is now pumping with the Animas Ping!!!!
    We did the trial and decided to go with it. He started early this month and is doing well. He wears it fine and is careful with it never complaining about tubing etc. His numbers well we still are making adjustments etc. in the pump regarding bolus, basals, I:C Ratio, BG Targets all that good stuff. I have seen more 100 numbers in a a few weeks time then i have over of course of 1 year and a little over half. He still has a way to go.

The Animas Reps and Nurses have been WONDERFUL!!!!! Just all WONDERFUL people and so understanding and easy to talk to.

Michelle

2. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

Congratulations! Welcome to the wonderful world of pumping!! You'll love Animas (at least we do) :D

3. michelleissweet

michelleissweet Approved members

Can you tell me about how long it took to get his numbers pretty stable when first using the pump? The Animas nurse told me it could take up to 6 weeks or so to get all the tweeks worked out etc. with basals, boluses etc.
    Michelle

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I'd say after the first week we were mostly past the "OMG! What the &(*^% is going on here?!" stage. And then after two weeks, I started to breathe again. And then after four weeks I felt as comfortable as I did on MDI.

But, as always, YDMV. :)

5. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

We've been pumping on the ping for 2 1/3 weeks. So far, I LOVE the overnight adjustable basal feature. The tweeks are so much easier than MDI because if your daytime numbers work, you can leave them alone and change the overnights and vice versa.

Still feeling overwhelmed. I sort of compare it to riding a Harley after learning to ride a bicycle. (let's see, it's got two wheels, how hard can it be?)

I was very apprehensive about pumping, but I gotta tell ya, we're so happy we did it. It does get easier and so fun to bolus out in public. Now I just look like "multitasking Mom" fiddling with a palm pilot, instead of a mad scientist drawing up insulin at the mall food court. :D

Our numbers have been much better even after two weeks. It takes a ton of detective work though. Test early and often, track EVERYTHING and send it off. We send Ava's numbers off every two days and tweak with our endo's advice. (and some hints from the board)

Good luck

6. KellyMama

KellyMama Approved members

TOTALLY ROFL about this -- I have felt that way SO many times! ;) It was marginally better once we had the pen for bolusing but still had an old diet coke bottle in the cupholder full of sharps while traveling, and still felt like a lab on wheels with all the *stuff*!! I am REALLY looking forward to this aspect of pumping!