- advertisement -

A1C went up..

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BCmom, Jan 5, 2011.

1. BCmom

BCmom Approved members

Her last A1C was 7.2 today it was 7.6.

I guess I am not surprised, we have had more highs ( the kind that has to do with growing up but she would wring my neck if she found me telling you about it;)), but still disappointed.

Sigh.

2. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

There is nothing you can do about it! We are in the same boat - growing - and the rest. I always comfort myself that I would rather have a "good 7ish" than a 6.something with lots of lows and highs. At least there will be an end to it - our endo keeps saying that once you start "being regular" you have grown to 90% of your height. Given my dd grew like a weed the past couple of years - that is almost comforting.
    No one actually says this - but I will anyway - lots of the kids our endo sees are over 10 - 12 (HbA1C). They think that if they are not fainting and not in DKA they are doing fine - and their parents agree (and their teachers etc.). They are "very easy to handle". Our children are the exception because we insist on good control and long term better health and, half the time, we beat ourselves up over a few points. The numbers aren't perfectly accurate anyway. If you have a few highs nearer the time the HbA1C was taken then that skews the results to show a higher number.

I hope this makes you feel better. The teenage years are hard work.:)

3. lisab

lisab Approved members

Don't be so hard on yourself!!! With hormones creating havoc.....7.6 is not too much of a rise.

I too know a number of kids whose A1c is often in the 10's :eek: shocking, I know. We strive our best to keep our kids within range....the A1c doesn't always reflect the amount of hard work put in....it is only a number, an indication to make adjustments......not a report card on your effort as a "D" parent.

We are in the same boat.....starting to have issues with hormones......so I understand the frustration.....Yasmines last A1c was up slightly also. Every three weeks in the last 4 months, we have been battling highs for about 5 days.... so a pattern is emerging.....early signs of puberty.....Just wish I was more onto it - by the time I up dosages.....after three days of correcting......we have a couple of days of good numbers before we are then battling lows, drop dosages back and things return to Yasi normal for another few weeks. It had me scratching my head, wondering what I was doing wrong.....it was the Endo, who pointed it out to me......I was being completely clueless.....the beginning of puberty hadn't even entered my line of thought.

Hope this makes you feel better!:)

4. Jessica L

Jessica L Approved members

I wish for 7.6. My daughters last 3 months ago was 8.5 and I was happy with that because I thought it would be higher. Tho that was before I learned how to adjust her insulin needs for her hormonal cycles. Still I refuse to judge myself based off her a1c's because I know what I do for her is all I can.

5. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

i'm expecting Ashleigh's A1C to have gone up. Lately she's been waking up with BS in the 200 range. I'm wondering too if it's the dreaded puberty. She hasn't started her period yet, but since she's almost 12, it's bound to happen soon.

6. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

The A1cs are not perfectly accurate- my endo says they are a plus minus .2 kind of thing. So a 7.2 means the A1c is 7.0-7.4, and a 7.6 means it could be 7.4-7.8. Which means that if they're 0.4 apart, it could be that they're the same thing.

P.S. Also, A1cs go up and they go down and you have to not take them to heart too much. Like a bg- you accept it and move on.

7. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

:D
    My 10 yr old son's lowest A1C in 6 years has been 7.5 and that was only once. It sits at 7.9 - 8.1 the rest of the time. I would love for him to have a 7.6 :rolleyes: Be happy - I think you're doing fantastic!

8. wilf

wilf Approved members

For a girl going through puberty the A1C indicates you are doing ok. :cwds:

Are you still using just NPH for basal? If so, adding a bit of Lantus might help get things a bit steadier.

9. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

7.6 is beautiful, so don't knock yourself please. I'm one of those whose child ends up in the 10's quite often (Kat's lowest ever was 8.0 and that was 2 yrs ago). Anyone who is telling you that you are not doing a superb job with your child's 24/7 care is blissfully ignorant. :cwds:

10. FloridaMom

FloridaMom Approved members

I can't wait to see 7.6! You are doing a great job with your big girl going through puberty. I hope you don't beat yourself up over it. Happiness and hugs to you today...

11. BCmom

BCmom Approved members

Thanks for your kind words... but I am afraid we have LOTS of highs and lows too..:(

12. BCmom

BCmom Approved members

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT OUR LAST 9 MONTHS HAVE BEEN!!!!!!!! And finally "it" started last month :p... I hope things will be better now,

13. BCmom

BCmom Approved members

No we use Levemir at night (things are much better now), and HPH plus humulog in the morning and humulog for dinner or banana splits :p

14. BCmom

BCmom Approved members

Thanks everyone for your encouraging words... I was really beating myself up over it.:( I really hate this, I keep thinking I will get used to it and I never seem to...:(

15. GinaB

GinaB Approved members

It's all part of growing. I would do a happy dance if we had any kind of seven. Joseph just jumped from 8.2 to 9.1! He did also grow amost 3 inches. Part of the problem was his resistance to moving his pump sights around. He had a bunch of fatty spots on this belly.

Hang in there

16. ShelbysMom

ShelbysMom Approved members

Sending cyber congrats on the A1C even though I know as parents we always want lower!! Sounds to me like your doing a fantastic job!

17. BCmom

BCmom Approved members

I have a question..

A1C numbers are the same in Canada and the US right? I mean, the blood sugar numbers are different but when I say a A1C of 7.6 it is the same as yours right??:eek:

18. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

It's the same :p

19. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Great question! It's a percentage in both places- it represents that 7.6% of the hemoglobin cells they looked at were attached to sugars.
    But different laboratories, regardless of location, may use different methods to measure and will have slightly different normal ranges. The upper limit of normal at the standard lab was, at the time I was diagnosed, 5.8%, although I believe they've since decided that 5.5%-5.8% is prediabetic. Anyways- when I was looking things up at that time, different labs had upper limits of normal ranging from about 5% to 6.5%, and the A1c thresh hold 7% for good control was sometimes given as 1.2 times the upper limit of normal for whatever lab you're at.

So- measuring the same thing, with the same scale, but some labs have slightly different (metaphoric) rulers. Probably the lab has the same as standard and you can check by asking what the upper limit of normal is for the lab.