- advertisement -

A1C in toddlers

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by uscmedmom, Apr 12, 2011.

1. uscmedmom

uscmedmom Approved members

I was just wondering what other endos were recommending for A1Cs in toddlers. Ours wants Colton under 8. Yesterday he was 7.5 so he went up a tad from 7.3 in January. Thanks!

2. manda81

manda81 Approved members

Our endo was happy with anything under an 8. When he was still honeymooning (dx at 2) it was easy to maintain a 5.7-6.0 ... now that he's not, and he's all growth-hormony it's a lot more of a struggle, but we are around the same (our last was 7.3 I believe?).

3. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

Ours wants under 8.5, I prefer in the 7 range though

4. uscmedmom

Thanks for your replies!

5. Blue

Blue Approved members

Ours wants under 8.5.

6. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

Our Endo always said under 8 for toddlers.

7. BKKT10

BKKT10 Approved members

Our A1C range for toddlers is 7-9. I think the BS range that they give for kids under 4 is 100-200.

8. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

Our endo was okay with anything 8.6 and under.. I always prefer in the 7's but it has just not happened lately.. Granted my son is now 6, but still.. The endo is okay with him being 8.1.. I guess it just varies..

9. HanksMom

HanksMom Approved members

Our endo told us at our last appointment that the ADA recommendation for children under 6 is 7.5-8.5. I had to do quite a bit of digging to confirm this in writing, but was able to do so.

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Our endo doesn't have set guidelines. He gives recommendations based on the specific situation and the parents' abilities. His general philosophy is that if you can avoid severe lows, lower is better.

11. owensmom

owensmom Approved members

For us it has always been a matter of how our son feels and behaves. He simply does not operate well in the 180's, therefore an A1C of 8.0 would never work for him. Our endo has always encouraged us to strive for a lower A1C.

12. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

Between 7 and 8.

13. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

*gasp* ours doesn't care :)
    No, really she rocks and doesn't even discuss the a1c, the CDE checks it she goes over Isaac's pump settings and logs and then we discuss how to tweak anything. This may be due to his a1c being lower, but I don't know. I think she knows I'm a bit on the overly anal side and would freak if we didn't hit the target, and I thank her dearly for this as she is right!
    However, I do have a friend whose son is in the same practice and she was told anything in the 8's is a good indicator that not too many highs or lows are occurring.

14. uscmedmom

Thanks everyone! I just wanted to make sure we were being told good info by our endo team. I am going to strive to keep Colton in the 7s for now.

15. Ali

Ali Approved members

FWIW
    I am just so amazed that you parents are able to keep you toddlers or frankly any kid from being under 40 or over 300 for any part of a day, week or month incredible. I have self managed completely since being a teen and without real feedback from the child and real control over ones self it must be so hard. You have incredible growing issues, a million bugs and illnesses, variable activiity etc. etc. Really until you get into your twenties there is no real stability (and even then it is wild to some extent for the rest of your life but better!) You all are just doing such a great job.:):)ali

16. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

I just wanted to say thank you for this :) Although I am so used to having a little one with d that I am dreading the days she isn't so easy to control!

To the OP, my endo is happy with 7.5 - 8.5 although we don't harp on the A1C -- his biggest question always seems to be, how is she doing? And then asks how I'm doing.

17. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

That is so sweet of you to say, Ali. Your posts here are very much appreciated. :)

18. Alex's Dad

Alex's Dad Approved members

Thank you so much :)

The endo I think is ok with 7 to 8% we hit a 6.8 and she was not that happy about it but not extremely mad.

19. kallygirl

kallygirl Approved members

Thank you Ali! It is nice to have someone acknowledge what we are doing!

Rene - I just had the same issue. Too low of an a1c! :) We were 6.8 and endo said it was a sign of too many lows, not good control in a toddler and wasn't healthy. Wants 7 to 8 range.

20. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

How does endo conclude that there are "too many lows" unless there were BG checks, CGM data, or symptoms demonstrating that there are "too many lows?".

Some kids maintain A1C's much lower than 6.8 without lows. It all depends on the child's physiology, the method of control, frequency of testing, etc., It seems that the endo is following some simplistic guideline rather than looking at your child's individual situation. Given the importance of maintaining the lowest A1C that is safely possible (at any age), I'd think the endo would want evidence of these "too many lows" before recommending a higher A1C.