- advertisement -

A1C help?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by NoMoreShots, Mar 29, 2011.

1. NoMoreShots

NoMoreShots Approved members

I couldn't really find anything on google...but anyways. I've been diabetic for almost 4 years and my A1C has always been good. I'm 16 now. My bloodsugars have been more unstable lately and my A1C was 8.5. My question is..can you feel bad from a slightly elevated A1C level?? Everything else came back fine. I've been really fatigued and tired lately..

2. wilf

wilf Approved members

What would make you feel fatigued are the higher blood sugar levels that are reflected in the 8.5 A1C.

An 8.5 A1C means that average blood sugars in the past 3 months have been around 225. I know my daughter feels tired when blood sugars get over 200..

3. Lee

Lee Approved members

I also want to add that I would have you folks being you to the doctor as well. Thyroid problems are pretty common in T1's. And that is a classic symptom. It is diagnosed through a simple blood test. Also, common teen illnesses like Mono cause extreme fatigue as well.

Although yes - the elevated blood sugar CAN cause the same symptoms. Have you checked your blood sugar when really fatigued? Does it seem that when you are high you are tired - or is it all the time - no matter the blood sugar?

4. wilf

wilf Approved members

This is a really good way of approaching this - doing some testing at times you feel particularly tired.

5. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Tara, do you have any other symptoms? Achy joints, headache, any fevers? Lyme disease causes extreme fatigue also and when Steven had it he did have a string of high blood sugars until he went on antibiotics.

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I agree with this 100%, great suggestions, Becky!

7. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Chronic fatigue is reported by more and more diabetics as the A1c goes up, but presumably that's because of the blood sugars going into the A1c.

Has your thyroid function been tested lately? Hypothyroidism (and sometimes hyperthyroidism) can also cause extreme tiredness and both are much more common in type 1 diabetics.

8. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

Interesting!!!

Jeremy's' A1c is high and we are working on it. He has often complained that he has felt tired; somewhat fatigued but after a short nap after school on most days, he is up and about with plenty of energy.

Other than that, there has been no other outward symptoms (that we know of) of his high A1c. Perhaps it affects everyone differently.