- advertisement -

A1C and hypoglycemia chart - School help please!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by polly, Sep 9, 2013.

1. polly

polly Approved members

Does anyone know where I can find the chart that shows the correlation between lower A1c and increased risk of hypos? I saw it at the CWD conference in Cincy a couple of years ago but can't seem to find it now. I'd like to use it for our meeting with the school board this week re: bus transportation for my seven-year-old. His bus ride is approximately 40 mins long on curvy, 2-lane roads where it is impossible to pull over. Our district has provided a bus monitor the past couple of years to assist him in case of hypos as he is unaware of lows the majority of time. They are now pulling the monitor due to lack of funding and have told us that it is not needed as T1 is not "that serious" (believe me, that got an earful) and that our only option was for our son to ride the "special ed" bus if we wanted extra supervision. The nurse's suggestion was to "run him high" by giving him an extra snack and treating it when we got home. I understand that rationale for safety of not going low, but we have worked so hard to achieve an A1c that we are happy with - I hate the thought of him being high 5 afternoons a week.
    My DS typically wears a Dexcom but isn't now because of football which runs until mid-November. Even with the Dex, I would still feel nervous about him attending to it all the time. Any advice? Am I being too much of a mama bear? :rolleyes:

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Cannot 7 year old football and a G4 go together?

3. polly

polly Approved members

Ha! That would have been my thought too but it's a competitive tackle league with practice/games 4-5 xs/week. We have tried it all but have only been able to keep the sensors on for a couple of days max. We had his endo appt. today and he suggested just leaving it off until the season is over.

4. caspi

caspi Approved members

I am assuming your son's football practice is sometime afterschool if it is 4-5 times a week? If so, running him a bit higher on the bus ride home is probably a good thing prior to practice.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Ok, so you've got to get through 10 weeks of football -what about hiring an older kid to help him if he feels low? Or just to keep an eye on him? Or have him check before boarding and have the nurse treat, being super conservative without always "running him high". Also an hour slightly higher for the bus ride isn't really going to mess with his A1c and to be honest, even if it did, I'd let the A1c take a small hit to keep my kid off the special ed bus. It would be impossible for me to explain to my kid that her type 1 made that necessary.

6. polly

polly Approved members

Thanks for the replies. I guess this thread is more about when to let some of the responsibility go to the CWD, which to be honest, I am really struggling with. My son is pretty responsible as far as seven-year-olds go, but this would be the first time he would really be taking over his D care. When do you know if they are ready? I'd feel much more comfortable about it if he felt his lows, but he's typically asymptomatic unless it is a really brutal hypo. Great suggestion about training an older kid. He has a couple of buddies that I'm sure would help. Practice is three hours after the bus and he has an adrenaline spike so I actually try to keep him in the lower range prior to practice, especially as he takes his pump off during some drills.

7. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I think if you are going to introduce completely independent D care, a bus ride would be a good place to do it. It's regular, it's of a limited duration and has responsible caregivers on the front end and the back end.

I think you would know more than us what the likelihood of problems on the bus ride would be. If he has moderate lows on the bus every week, and I was unsure of my child's ability to regularly check on the bus and treat, then I would be uncomfortable. If the worst thing you think will happen is he will hop off the bus at 65, then I'd feel much better about it.

8. Caysie98

Caysie98 Approved members

Since he has a pump, you could set a lower basal rate around bus-ride time.