- advertisement -

A Run of Bad Luck With Dexcom Sensors, Lot #5191502, Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sszyszkiewicz, Dec 13, 2014.

1. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

So we have had three failed sensors in a row. they lasted only about 3 days each, with crummy accuracy most of the time. Dexcom replaced them. I was just curious if anyone else has been having issues. The lot # on all 3 sensors was 5191502.

2. Dad_in_Canada

Dad_in_Canada Approved members

Hmmm, interesting. We've had 2 failures this week, and 1 about 3 weeks ago, but Animas (we're using the Vibe) suspect the transmitter, since we've had a "Call Service: CGM Failure" alarm, and the error code points to a transmitter failure. But the catch is the 3 failures were over 2 different transmitters.

All of our failures had sensors from the same batch, but different from yours (5178577).

All replacement sensors & transmitter were replaced by Animas (had to push them a bit for the transmitter replacement).

While I can't really back it up with data, my gut feel is we've been having more Dexcom issues in 2014 than in 2013.

3. caspi

caspi Approved members

No issues with failed sensors so far - but I'm noticing with the last 2 boxes I opened that the adhesive is worse than usual, as in it's peeling up immediately upon placement. Instead of taping at the 7 day mark we're taping immediately. We're also not getting as many days out of them as we used to. We were averaging 17-20 days and now they start going "wiggy" around the 12 day mark. But I'm not complaining about that - I count every day after the 7th as a gift. :smile:

4. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

We've had one lousy sensor and one that wasn't quite up to standard recently. I will have to look at lot numbers.

I've noticed the same thing. We used to have no issues with the adhesive, but now I am constantly checking to make sure it is still on, right from day 1.

5. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

We had a LOT of adhesive failures early on, and then a spate of them last month (but those were all different lot numbers). One thing I've noticed is that the weather change seems to affect the staying power, until the new season is well established. Probably the dryness of the skin or something.

6. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

We have the same bad lot - 5178577! Out of the four sensors in the box, two never even started - failed on every two hour startup. And the other two gave nothing but ??? until they gave up the ghost after about three/four days! After three failures we called Dexcom and because our transmitter was out of warranty (only 7 months old) they suggested it was probably the transmitter. We ended up buying a new transmitter and fighting for the replacement of the three failed sensors which they eventually sent us. However, the last sensor in the box failed to start with our new transmitter! It's been a very frustrating few weeks and it looks like we bought a new transmitter for nothing! We have the Vibe and the Dexcom Receiver.

7. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

We've only been using dex for about 2 months now. How do you know if you have a failure? What does the reciever say?

8. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

the receiver says "Failed sensor". The chart goes away. It makes a series of chirps.

9. mom24grlz

ok thanks!

10. Dad_in_Canada

Dad_in_Canada Approved members

Wonderful. We bought 3 boxes of sensors (12 sensors in total), and all 3 boxes have this same lot number. The frustrations could continue for another few months :frown:

We're going to start using the replacement transmitter this weekend. Fingers crossed.

We're also using the Dexcom receiver (plus Vibe), but when we've had issues, DS has been at school (and the Dex receiver stays at home). So, the issues we've seen have only showed up on the Vibe. When you see issues, are you seeing them on both the Dex receiver *and* the Vibe? If so this would seem to eliminate the receiver/Vibe as a problem (ie. it's unlikely both would have issues).

11. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

We have the same as you. the Vibe goes to school and gets a lot more ??? than the receiver which picks up beautifully when she gets home from school. It seems to get more confused. Maybe the software? IOB plays a part?

12. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

Both the Dex Receiver and the Vibe showed Failed Sensor or ANT/???. Neither would work with any of the dodgy sensors. The sensor from the replacement lot is still going strong after 7 days. I would try and get them to replace your other two boxes.

13. mom24grlz

ok we just a new shipment of sensors a couple of days ago. I checked the lot # and looks like we're good, well at least not the number you all listed. We'll find out when we put the sensors in whether they work or not.