- advertisement -

A Question from a nurse...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lilwitte, Nov 3, 2009.

1. lilwitte

lilwitte Approved members

I have been sick for the past few days and ended up in the emergency room last night with a high fever, low blood sugars, and high ketones. When I was being admitted to the ER, I told the nurse that I had type 1 diabetes and she asked me to rate it. I gave her a blank stare and had no idea what she was asking of me. Then she said, "is it mild, moderate, severe, or brittle?" In my 11 years of having diabetes I have never been asked something like this before. The worst part was that this was not just a question she wanted to know the answer to, it was on their computerized admission sheet as a question to ask people with diabetes.

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Wow, I don't know what to say.:eek:

Are you feeling better??

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Liz Im so sorry you're not feeling well. I thought the phrase "brittle diabetes" had gone out of our d language long ago. and how the heck can type 1 d be mild:confused: or moderate or severe:confused:

4. angiej

angiej Approved members

Hope you are starting to feel better. There really is no sensible answer to that question is there?

My pancreas is severely not working.:confused:

On a day to day basis it is mildly annoying, moderately straightforward to manage and I find this question severely ridiculous :cwds:

5. momma_fish2007

momma_fish2007 Approved members

My mother in law is always asking me fearfully if Julian's a brittle diabetic and/or if it's possible for him to become this. I haven't gone looking for this term because I didn't want any horror stories so I'm glad to know that there isnt' really such a thing. I figure that if it was a possibility and/or if there was something that could be done to change or prevent it then the endo would tell us.

6. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

oh my!!
    How did you answer??
    I'd probably say well it depends on the time of the day, weather, what I ate, moon phases, how the stock market is doing------take your pick lady;)

7. HarleyGuy

HarleyGuy Approved members

It makes me wonder if perhaps they are looking for the "control" part of your diabetes. At one time I would have said either severe or brittle(swung hi-low in a heartbeat). This is the only thing that comes to mind when thinking of "mild,moderate,severe, or brittle". With excellent control, my diabetes acts pretty mild. When I am out of control, my diabetes is severe.
    But to just ask how you rate your diabetes....guess I'd say"Yep-I'm diabetic". They can figure out what they want to put on their form.
    Just me 2c.

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I would be irrationally annoyed at such a question. How very stupid.

9. lilwitte

lilwitte Approved members

I was so confused at the question that I finally said I was moderate. The nurse seemed content with that answer.

I am doing much better now. I tested positive for the flu. Now I am just stuck as an in patient at the student health center at my university until I am symptom free.

10. Gaia

Gaia Approved members

I would have looked at her and just said 'yes'. If asked for more Id say 'yes to all of the above, depending on a variance of factors' and Id leave it at that. Let them figure it out! :rolleyes:

11. selketine

selketine Approved members

Well I guess you cannot blame the nurse for the form - that question certainly is a show-stopper though - LOL!

It would just make me worry about the care I was about to receive if they don't know enough about diabetes that they would put such a stupid question in there. That is probably what I would have said - :rolleyes:

12. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

So true! Not the nurse's fault but scary. What would be impt for them to know would be things like last bg, how bgs were that day in general, any ketones, pump or shots, etc. Those questions would make me feel they knew something about D and would be helpful.

I hope Lilwitte is feeling better soon!

13. MichS

MichS Approved members

Interesting...if you google "degrees of severity of diabetes" it comes up often as a term used in medical journals and articles. So, if we want to educate people we need to start much earlier than the dr.'s and nurses, it has to start before that even! Everybody wants to put a label on something. I heard this just the other day "My niece has diabetes BAD!" haha! oh ya, 'cause Noah's just got a mild case. WTF!! I hate to judge, but is Noah's case less "severe" because we've fought for the pump, count carbs dilligently, educate the school, test 6-8 x a day, tweak basals and I:C ratios weekly (if not more) and on and on..... But, how do you change the way the medical establishment thinks?

14. Carseatmama

Carseatmama Approved members

:eek: I have no words at this point !!

15. pam_r

pam_r Approved members

I have heard this too and I would have been completely annoyed at such a silly question. I do think they are plrobably talking about control and maybe if any coplications had developed since diagniosis. That would be my guess.

I have a friend who is a nurse at a major hospital and she said to me once "the endo gets so mad if we dose incorrectly for a meal" my reply "uhm seriously I would be furious too, you are giving potent medicine to a patient, you need to know what you are doing":eek:

So yes scary, we all know that just because we are in a hospital we still need to advocate for ourselves.

16. Kaylee's Mom

Kaylee's Mom Approved members

LOVE that answer!

Crystal :D

17. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

Part of me would like to get asked that question just to come back with a snarky answer. :eek:

But given the circumstances I'd say something like, "considering I'm here at the hospital with low blood sugars and high ketones, I think it's severe right now."

18. Jessies_Mom

Jessies_Mom Approved members

Sounds like a stupid triage question they are forced to ask. I probably would just let them know curent blood sugars and symptoms and the last A1C and let them plug that into their magical triage assessment formula.:rolleyes: