- advertisement -

A question about "highs" at night.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MamaChrissa, Dec 7, 2009.

1. MamaChrissa

MamaChrissa Approved members

During the day, Jason is almost completely asymptomatic for highs. I say almost because those who really know him well (myself, DH and his para for over 2 years are it), can sometimes spot a behaviour change. But he does not have any of the expected signs or symptoms. Unless he is asleep. Then he wets the bed. :( Poor thing. I never make a huge deal about it, but its one of the few times he gets angry at D.

Of course I do try to keep him regulated at night, but we had a bad spell recently and it made me wonder...why at night...but not during the day?

2. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Why does he wet the bed at night? Maybe he's just the type who can't wake himself up to go yet. Is he afraid to get up at night? Does he just decide not to (TMI but I'll even hold mine unless I'm about to burst)? Is he having those "pee dreams" where he thinks he's in the bathroom?

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Chrissa, my son with d was actually dry at night before the other one. My older son was still wearing Good nites until he was almost 8. It just took longer for his bladder to mature. Does your son have high #s at night when you check him? Does he wet on most nights or just on nights when he has high numbers?

4. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Why he wets at night? Because during the day he's conscious and can hold it in. He may also be such a sound sleeper that he won't wake up by himself.

I think the best is to test often and also to either wake him up a couple of times at night so he gets used to go the bathroom, or seek the help of your ped doc. Sometimes there are kids who really can't control their bladder overnight.

Good luck.

If it helps, my son will be 6 next week and he still will have peeing accidents. Usually when he's higher than his range.

Just don't put too much emphasis on this in front of him. It may stressed him even more, and if he's like my kid, stress=higher BGs= peeing.;)

5. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Yep, that's it. When you are high you have to pee. end of story. During the day he's awake and holds it. Have him pee right before bed, test at night, and wake him to pee if he's high. And put a mattress pad on his bed. You'r right not to make a big deal out of it. Just say, no biggie, let's just change your clothes, and back to bed. Please let him know that it happens when bs is high and that's the initial symptom for lots of ppl., and that as he gets older he might be more likely to wake. To be honest though it happens to grown-ups too.

That's how we knew there was something "wrong" with dd at age 4. she was wetting the bed 3 times a night! i wanted to cry.

6. MamaChrissa

MamaChrissa Approved members

Thanks, everyone. I guess Im looking for something other than the obvious. But you all are likely right. He is a deep sleeper, like a rock. While its great for those midnight pokes, its not so good for the peeing. :eek: Truth be told, we have only been really constantly dry at night for about 9 months or so. But, yes, he is always 250 or higher when he pees. I never make a big deal about it, but he knows its because hes high...and of course knows D is to "blame" for that. :( Generally, he deals very well with his D, but its more a dignity thing with him I think. He also knows that his twin sis hasn't had an accident on well over 2 years. So, Im sure that bugs him too.

7. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

Phillip definitely needs to go a lot more during the day, but he's awake. He has wet the bed once when he was high at night, and really tired, so slept right through. It could just be that Jason doesn't wake up for it. and you don't notice it during the day because he's not in bed, so doesn't wet it. Did that make sense?