- advertisement -

A Plus Medical says Freestyle strips no longer available

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by WillowBean, Oct 8, 2013.

1. caspi

caspi Approved members

Something to keep in mind with those that use the companies that don't charge co-pays -- check your DME coverage to see if you have a cap as they usually do charge the most. Some plans have a cap, some don't. :cwds:

2. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

So, basically, the provider just writes off your deductible or the percentage that you have to pay?

Do a lot of places do that? I wonder if the place I order my supplies will do it? It's not a big distributor -just a brick and mortar local-ish family owned pharmacy that is a contracted supplier for my insurance.

We hit our deductible before I started my relationship with them, so I haven't paid them anything out of pocket yet, but will in 2014.

3. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

I really do think it has to do with your insurance coverage. Our DME coverage is 80/20, once we meet our deductible, whereas our prescription coverage uses a formula, based on the tier they assign a drug/product.
    For example, we were paying $345 every 3 months for our test strips through Express Scripts (70/30 coverage because they are a non-preferred name brand). Through our DME coverage, we just got a 90 day supply for $84. It's not free, but it's less than 1/3rd what we were paying, so I'm happy.
    In January our deductible will start over, but one appointment to the endo, or one shipment of pods meets our deductible and our new plan pays 90/10 instead of 80/20.

I've never heard of a company eating the copay to get your business, that's quite interesting!

4. Lee

Lee Approved members

That is just my theory - not a fact ;)

5. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I can state for a fact that Solara was willing to write off the copay to get our business. A+ has been very well known for doing this.

6. swellman

swellman Approved members

When our insurance changed at the first of the year we were no longer allowed to order directly from Insulet. So, I contacted Edgepark and was told, during the conversation, that with our new insurance diabetes supplies were covered without copay. Previously we had a 10% copay. I asked what this covered and they told me it was, pretty much, everything but insulin. This included Omnipod, Dexcom, syringes and lancets.

I didn't ask why nor do I know if they just eat the copay or if our new insurance lumped this under DME. I honestly just don't know.

I do know that we get OnmiPods, Dexcom (compete system), syringes (one box) and lancets with no copay.