- advertisement -

A Plus Medical says Freestyle strips no longer available

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by WillowBean, Oct 8, 2013.

1. WillowBean

WillowBean Approved members

I just got a call from A Plus Medical that Freestyle strips for the Omnipod are no longer available, they have been discontinued. I knew this could not be correct so I called Omnipod and they confirmed that they are still available. The gentlemen at A Plus that I spoke to when I called back seemed to not believe me and made it sound like we would have to go elsewhere for the strips.

Anyone else have this problem?

2. caspi

caspi Approved members

We've been getting them from Walgreens without any problem. I was told that they were being pulled "off the shelf" and would only be available behind the counter, which makes sense considering they are only being used by Omnipod now. I presume APlus doesn't want to stock them for this reason.

3. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

At all of our local pharmacies and stores, all brands of strips are either behind the counter or locked up in the aisle, not just "on the shelf". I guess maybe people around here have a tendency to steal these high dollar items :)

4. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Yes, we have had to change mail order companies twice now for this reason. Insurance companies pay the same amount to the suppliers for any of the strips. Abbott's price is higher, so they opt out. At least that is what I was told.

5. redheadmom

redheadmom Approved members

Last week I tried to reorder my Freestyle strips from Edgepark. (I've never had a problem before.)

They told me they would not sell them to me anymore because of the insurance that I have (it's a pretty good Blue Cross/Blue Shield policy). I called my insurance company, and they claimed it is NOT an issue with them (I ended up getting the strips from my local pharmacy and they were fully covered just like always.)

So I don't know what's going on really, but I DO know that Edgepark won't sell me the strips. Unless I pay cash, of course. :)

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

A plus has been horrible lately. Ever since Michael and Danielle left the place has fallen apart. A bunch of morons work there now. I only tolerate it because there is no copay,

7. Lee

Lee Approved members

I just have to say, look for a different supplier. A+ is not the only one that does not charge Out Of Pocket for supplies, and yup, even insulin.

8. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

Would you mind sl sharing who else does Lee?

9. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I know that Solara Medical Supply was willing to write off the copay for omnipods if we went thru them.

10. swellman

swellman Approved members

Edgepark has no copay for devices like Omnipod, Dexcom, test strips, syringes and lancets. They don't do insulin though.

Also, we were just about out of Multiclix and had no current Rx. They contacted the Dr. for a new Rx and had the 3 month supply at our doorstep 2 days later.

EDIT: For us at least ... it might be an insurance thing.

11. Lee

Lee Approved members

I use Diabetes Specialty Center - no copays AND I get insulin.

12. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

Would you mind pming me thier info? We have been ok with a plus but I miss getting insulin too.

13. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

Definitely an insurance thing. We go through Edgepark and pay $82.50 per box of pods and $5.25 per box of test strips.

14. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

Yep, it's an insurance thing. The DME company has to be approved by your insurance company. We have Anthem and all our supplies have to go through Care Centrix, who then chooses the supplier (in the case of our test strips, at least).

Having said that, we just received Freestyle test strips from Neighborhood Diabetes, a full 3 months supply, no questions asked. Find out if they are approved by your insurance because they have been so easy to deal with, and because Care Centrix dropped the ball on getting them the correct RX, they overnighted them to me free of charge.

15. Charlene

Charlene Approved members

Ok so I guess I need more info? If I order through these companies there are 0 copays? Is that even legal? I would love more info. I don't understand why everything is so expensive!!!!!

16. Lee

Lee Approved members

I really depends on your insurance. These companies charge the full allowable price on everything they ship to the insurance company. That is how they make their money - the copays to them are a drop in the bucket, so in order to get business, if insurance pays, they do not charge you.

All you can do is call them and ask if they work with your insurance.

17. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Do you have to ask for no copays or do they just offer that? Because I get dex sensors from them and there is a copay (10% of cost). That would be awesome though. Right now we get all supplies from different places to save money and it is just crazy to keep track of; I would totally love to be able to just use dsc.

18. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

All of this also has to do with if you are getting supplies as DME under medical or under the Pharmacy part.

Under DME I would pay 15% of contracted rate that is allot!

Under Pharmacy I pay the copay amount, varies from $15 to 60

We are using Foundation Care and are able to get all of our DME items under the Pharmacy copay instead and are saving so much money since switching. We are paying $15 for two boxes of PODs a month and $15 for two boxes of Dexcoms.

We used to pay more than $50 for dexcom and were being quoted $75 for PODs.

On our old insurance we could not get DME under our Pharmacy but on Cigna we can and are saving a ton.

19. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

A+ it is a normal thing to not pay copay. on Solara they offered it to me when i was hesitant on saying yes to them being my supplier. They sounded really nice, it was just that I had already been in contact with foundation Care.

20. Lee

Lee Approved members

We DO have to pay a copay with sensors. Our supplier does not carry G4 Sensors. I would have no problem asking. Or even asking, how much will my copay be. I was basically told that they would not know the copay until they charged the insurance company, but it would not be more then what I was already paying.