- advertisement -

A not so good sleepover

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DavidN, Mar 23, 2015.

1. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Yep. Sleepover's are tough. The activity and food made it more difficult. And yes we are CGM dependent and the sensor failing put us on DEFCON 1. But what sealed the deal were his actions (or inaction). He was not responding to texts, did not call home when asked (took him 2 hours). We had a plan. It was just looser than it would have been a year ago and gave him a bit more freedom and responsibility. He's just not ready for that level of independence. He was not willfully disobeying, he was just lost in the fun and not paying attention. He got home and told us he hated us and went to bed. As I said, it sucked. But what confirmed for me that we absolutely made the right call (for us at least) was when I went upstairs to check his BG before he went to sleep and asked him why the lancet wasn't in the kit. He said he lost it. I said you gave me a fingerstick BG of 150 when I asked at 11:30pm on the phone. "Oh, that was the last reading on the CGM. I couldn't check BG because I lost the lancet." Hmm.

The next day my wife and son picked up his sleepover buddy and had a really fun lunch.

It's been a few days. I've taken screen shots of the CGM graph and our text threads. The storm has passed. I'll sit down with him in the next day or so, show him the pictures, and explain why we did what we did. And I'll explain that the next sleepover will work very differently. More discussion with host parents, less trust on our part and more responsibility on his part.

2. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Approved members

Following your own parental instincts rarely leads you wrong!

That was some good foresight to take the screenshots. I'll have to remember that. The experience will be a powerful learning one for him so there is some good come of it! That is a rough age!

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yeah, Jack (newly 11) recently went to a birthday party where he proceeded to completely ignore my instructions with respect to...virtually everything. I don't think he intentionally ignored them. I just think he started having fun and all thoughts of D went completely out the window. It turned out fine (actually, his inaction in one area likely led to better BG than if he would have followed my directions - oops), but despite the fact that he's ABLE to do what he needs to do in those situations, he just doesn't yet.

Sigh. The teen years are going to be loooooooooooong.

4. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

I'm glad the storm has passed. Sometimes it just sucks that our kids have to worry about this crap. I am so not looking forward to sleepovers!

5. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

For us, Emma knows our goals when she's away from us for longer periods is that she should be running higher than normal and were ok with her vein high and we'll deal with it later. We always underdose meals and often then down basal a to prevent the lows. Emma knows our mantra in short situations tht we can't control is "lows are worse than highs"

6. dshull

dshull Approved members

No advice - just so sorry, that totally sucked!! Our son is 10 and we are just entering into this territory.