- advertisement -

A New CGM in Europe

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by sszyszkiewicz, Sep 3, 2014.

1. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

2. Ali

Ali Approved members

Ahh this is a no go for me as I have no desire to have to wave something under my arm every five minutes to watch the trend of my readings. Probably great for type twos not so much for T1s. Plus how does this help at night??? I might as well just do fingers sticks, set my alarm at night wake up and do a stick. Again maybe great for T2s who view finger sticks as a big deal or elderly adults who find it hard to do finger sticks. But useless for catching a bad trend one did not expect. Ali

3. Cheetah-cub

Cheetah-cub Approved members

Wow, I am pretty excited about this. I would love to do away from the finger pricks. If this CGM works (accurate), I would love to get one ASAP. Anyone know if they are trying to enter the US market as well?

4. Ali

Ali Approved members

Cheetah-cub
    I am really interested in how you think this is better than the current CGMS devices which allow you to monitor your BG and alarm you to numbers too high or too low without you the user having to do anything? The current CGMS devices only require a few finger checks a day and alarm you while you are awake or asleep if your numbers are off or even if they are heading high or low so you can take action to prevent that low or super high. This device still means you implant something every few weeks plus you still need to remember to check your BG every few hours, does nothing to help at night and does nothing to alert you to a potential high or low. You may be seeing something I am not but for me as a T1 it is a no go, as a T2 it would be great. Happy to be told how I am missing something here.:)ali

5. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

It would be nice to see some pictures or even designs but nothing but words so far.. ?

6. katerinas

katerinas Approved members

This is supposed to be a device to replace finger checks, not so much to compete with the current CGM. I am excited not about the device but of the accuracy for future CGM!

7. Cheetah-cub

Cheetah-cub Approved members

Ali,

I don't think you are missing anything here. It is probably just a personal thing. Even to this day, I just can't stand seeing my child prick her small fingers several times a day to drew blood. I hate that stabbing clicking sound our Delica device makes. I would be thrilled to have a device that can replace the finger pricks.

Dexcom does give readings every 5 minutes, but we don't constantly look at it. Several times a day, we would go to our receiver to click and see the BG. So, this new device, we simply scan and see the number, the article said it only takes 1 second to get a reading. At our night time check, we currently had to dig into the blanket and find a finger to prick, and wait for the number to display in our PDM. It seems with the new device, we just find the arm, put the scan under it, and get a reading in 1 second.

We do love our Dexcom. We do! But I would be happy to trade the alerts with no finger pricks.

Of course, if Dexcom improve their product, and will stand behind their CGM numbers for bolusing, that will work too.

I am looking forward to the day when our kids don't have to finger prick anymore.

8. Ali

Ali Approved members

Oh that makes sense. I was just assuming it really wasn't any more accurate but the company was just blowing a bit of smoke. I need to go and read a bit more about it.
    Ali

9. suej

suej Approved members

I wonder if you could calibrate a CGM off it? I know you would then have 2 sensors inserted, but once every 2 weeks vs numerous fingerpricks to calibrate and confirm GCM readings may just turn out to be preferable in my family. Also would help when CGM sensor misbehaves.

10. Ali

Ali Approved members

Thank you for your reply, makes perfect sense.
    ALi

11. Guru_rb

Guru_rb Approved members

Hi All,

I was hoping that this product would generate quite some buzz, as it definitely offers some benefits (at least on paper). Has anybody tried it? Any experience that can be shared here?

12. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Approved members

My 13yo hates testing. Hates carrying the bag, hates dragging it out, fiddling with the strips, squeezing his finger, taking the time, all of it. To him all that feels like a huge intrusion - more so than the shot. If he could wave a wand for one second and eliminate finger tests what a gift that would be. He might actually get over his aversion to having something stuck to him.

At 13yo he could care less about tracking trends and would rather not be alerted to anything so the CGM has no appeal to him at all right now.

13. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

14. Guru_rb

Guru_rb Approved members

Thank you so much. I some how missed that thread.

15. ETR69

ETR69 New Member

Dear all, my son is a 4 years old type 1 diabetic. In Italy, where I live, freestyle libre is not approval for children.
    This thing is really unpleasant to me because I hate prick my son's fingers!
    Have any of you tried frestyle libre? Is it painful? are the readings accurate and precise?
    My son has an insulin pump.
    Thanks
    Etr69